Thread: Broken Steering Gear Box Horn Wire Tube

Broken Steering Gear Box Horn Wire Tube

Hi all,

I couldn't find this in any threads, so I figured I would ask. I broke off the little metal tube in the steering gear box when I was taking the steering worm gear out during my initial teardown (I was an idiot and didn't look closely at what I was doing). I looked online and I can't find a replacement part for that anywhere (suggestions?). It's a Ross box out of a 1955 CJ5. I got the tube straightened out and tried to use JB Weld to stick it back on (I don't have a welder and a friend said to give it a try). I couldn't get it to stick on there straight and seal, and I figured I would rather have no horn and a sealed (non-leaky) box. Has anyone else run into this? I had thoughts of trying to get a new piece of metal tube welded in there or using some other type of tubing, but I'm not sure what would work or by a viable option and wouldn't wear out and create problems for me later. My other plan was to find a short bolt that would thread in there and screw it in with thread lock and not worry about it. Thoughts?

Any advice would be appreciated!

-Alex

Epoxy would have been my thought also. I am assuming you are talking about the tube the horn wire goes through. I would try Brake Line tubing. You may be able to make another one out of it. The epoxy should work. It has to be very clean. I always pass a little flame over the two parts to be glued if possible. That will burn off any oil you cant see.

Thanks! I will give the epoxy another try.

alove, give these guys a call. https://www.midweststeering.com/ They have a lot of steering gear knowledge.They have a lot of tech about all types of steering gear. This TRW/Ross box diagram from them is very close. https://www.midweststeering.com/wp-c...ds/253-TRW.pdf The Ross box in the Willys, was used in everything from cars and trucks, to tractors.

In my opinion, I would cut you a piece of copper tubing, flair the end that comes out the bottom, (to the outside air) and sweat it in with a plumbers torch. If you use the 00 corn head grease or equivalent, then you really don't have much issue with it leaking out. The tube only has to be as long as the oil level within the gear box. When I installed the new horn button and wire on my 2A, the tube was only about 6" long inside the column. Just aggravating enough that you are hard pressed to feed the wire from the top without a brazing rod run up from the bottom to fish the wire through to the bottom.

What is the corn head grease? I read a thread about people using it in their dif boxes. I was under the impression that gear oil was used in both the steering box and the axles (but apparently a different type). I was going to put some 80/90 in my front and rear axles (per a friend's recommendation), but what type of lube would you all recommend for the steering gear box?

The corn head grease is a 00 viscosity oil/grease that is thick as a liquid gets at room temperature. It is what is an equivalent to what is called out for the Ross steering box. Gear lube will give you a guaranteed leak and doesn't adhere to the steering sector as well as a thick grease. Farm implement dealers/supply stores can get or have the corn head grease in stock. Amazon is a good source as well. https://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Co.../dp/B00CSBOLL8

Good to know! I will pick some up! Should any be used in the diff boxes? I read a thread a while back where someone recommended using it on the spider gears. Would I be ok with 80/90 gear oil alone?

Two popular popular subjects tn the tech section threads! Here you go. The transmission lube thread has info on the axles as well.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...ox-Lubrication

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...d-transmission