Thread: Bell crank bracket

Bell crank bracket

Im installing a new bell crank bracket on my CJ2A..... I took measurements off the old one as far as center to center of pin and figured this would be location of new bracket
    I already removed old bracket and am waiting for new one to arrive
    Im a little concerned about the bracket being level
    Has anyone done this job?
    Thanks

Steve, I think the 2A and the 3A are in the same place. I am sure we can find some reference points to measure to if you lose the location. gmwillys has had 2A or two or three! I bet he has reattached a few. I will check mine out and see if it is level.

Thank you bmorgil !!! Im figuring the hole for the pin is in the exact same spot as the old bracket

It is level Steve. Though the pictures are not! I cannot figure out how to post a picture straight up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-05-2022 at 11:59 AM.

About the only way I can get pictures to post as intended is to move them to a computer, check orientation and post from there.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Man what the heck! It seems like they turn randomly. Sometimes sideways, sometimes upside down, sometimes OK... Sounds like the three bears.

Steve,

The dimensions stayed the same from the 2A through the CJ5. When you set up your new bracket in the former location, get it as level as you can. Left to right is more critical than forward to aft, but try your best to get it level in both directions. On my 2A, the crossmember was rotten on both frame rails. The center was good. Me being cheap, I cut both ends off and took some scrap pipe and fit them to the center section. The replacement tube for a 2A is marketed as the same as an MB or GPW war jeep, to which it is, almost. The difference is that the WWII jeeps had the bell crank mounted on the front axle, instead of the frame. A drivability issue comes with that configuration because you end up having terrible bump steer from being mounted on the axle. When the 2A was designed, that was probably one of the first things that was changed. Long story short, the reproduction replacement parts that are out there for the early models do not come with a bell crank mount, so that's why the mounts have become available.

Here is some semi useful information on the bell crank through some other forums;

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modul...ewtopic&t=8544

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Steve,

The dimensions stayed the same from the 2A through the CJ5. When you set up your new bracket in the former location, get it as level as you can. Left to right is more critical than forward to aft, but try your best to get it level in both directions. On my 2A, the crossmember was rotten on both frame rails. The center was good. Me being cheap, I cut both ends off and took some scrap pipe and fit them to the center section. The replacement tube for a 2A is marketed as the same as an MB or GPW war jeep, to which it is, almost. The difference is that the WWII jeeps had the bell crank mounted on the front axle, instead of the frame. A drivability issue comes with that configuration because you end up having terrible bump steer from being mounted on the axle. When the 2A was designed, that was probably one of the first things that was changed. Long story short, the reproduction replacement parts that are out there for the early models do not come with a bell crank mount, so that's why the mounts have become available.

Here is some semi useful information on the bell crank through some other forums;

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modul...ewtopic&t=8544
    Thank you and thanks to all for help
    ASAP I will get back to the Jeep. Im figuring to level the jeep and than level the bracket both ways. I know exactly were it goes on tube but its levelling it that has be concerned
    I guess I could tack it and reassemble and check everything and than weld it up
    Will keep all informed

I use a lot of the cheap angle finders. They have a magnetic base to hold them tight. I put one on the frame, then one on the bracket. Just make both of the dials match. Then you don't have to level out the frame. Horrible Freight angle finders are pretty good. I check them against a Starrett angle finder, and they match. The only issue I have had is that the magnets aren't glued in with a quality glue .

Thank you to all for the help.....I levelled the jeep and than put bracket level and tacked.....Hooked up bell crank and drag link....looked good and so I welded it up.....took it out for a spin
    Its noticeable firming when steering, not as loose as it was before....Much less slop in the wheel