Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1960 DJ3A Resto with my 18 year old son

@TJones thanks- still trying to figure out what I have!

@Bmorgil is there a place I can go to see what axles look like what? I have to search them for model numbers. We power washed it but was so filthy I couldn’t crawl around and look and it rained for 2 days after…

If you Google "willys jeep axle identification" you will get a lot of images. https://www.google.com/search?q=will...client=gws-wiz

Also, the g503.com website is a good place to investigate the power train you have. Your axles and transmission are from an MB/GPW.

Originally those axles were designed by Spicer for Studebaker.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-08-2022 at 08:29 AM.

How big a tire can be run on these axles before steering will be too difficult? Width more than height is what I am asking…

Got her torn down to frame, axles now. Wire brushing beginning- chassis is in good shape with just some pitting from rust but nothing is rusted away.

Anything you put on it above 8” is going to be a hand full to turn without power steering, the other thing to keep in mind is without a offset wheel it will start rubbing on the springs. You can put pretty wide tires on these old gems with the right offset wheels.
    I forget the the actual size I put on mine but I’m thinking they are 10”w x 15” and 32”s tall, but I installed the Buick V-6 and added power steering so it’s very easy to handle.
    Probably not a lot of help, but the Wizards will come in and tell ya what size will work well for ya I’m sure of that, once again it all depends on what your intentions are for it.
    Last edited by TJones; 09-23-2022 at 04:38 AM.

A loaded question there. The effort to turn the wheel is going to be more of a factor of the weight of the vehicle.These things are fairly light. They are manual steering and it takes a bit of effort no matter the tire width. You are restricted in the tire size by the frame. At some point the tire will hit the frame. The taller the tire the narrower it must be. The wider the tire the shorter it must be. If you follow TJ's suggestion on offsets, you can put some monsters on there. At some point with offsets and no power steering, it will get too difficult to turn. That all depends on what you determine is too difficult. If you stick to stock offset rims you wont notice the extra effort of the widest, tallest tires you can get on.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Your axles and transmission are from an MB/GPW.
    We have been busy with football season and injuries but all better now. We wire wheeled the whole frame and axles and got them painted up so getting ready to re-assemble the axles back onto the frame with new front springs. Back at trying to sort out what axles I have because no matter how much I tinker with the brake shoe adjustment screws, the wheels are nearly impossible to turn. Took 4 guys to push the jeep hard.

So, here are some pics of my axles. I am pretty confident that the front is a Dana 25 but not sure about the rear and your statement above has me wondering what the implications are. If they are MB/GPW axles (they were originally OD green), what do I have for a frame/running gear? I am pretty sure I have a DJ body sitting on a different/4x4 frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a very old Salisbury/Spicer 25 model in the front and an equally historic Salisbury/Spicer model 27 in the rear. Both from a Willys MB or GPW. I would say they are both pre-1950.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    That is a very old Salisbury/Spicer 25 model in the front and an equally historic Salisbury/Spicer model 27 in the rear. Both from a Willys MB or GPW. I would say they are both pre-1950.
    Looks like I have a full Frankenstein lol.

Going to research this more and see if I can figure out exactly which brakes I have and which pads I need. For now I might just grind the tips off the shoes where they go into the cylinders to create a tiny bit of clearance (like take off 1/32”) so I can roll the thing.

Standard Dana 25 front end parts from KW seem to be correct for my front end. Havent needed anything for the rear yet…

Been too long but I wanted to circle back with the forum as I really do appreciate the help offered by everyone.

We have been working away all winter and have disassembled and re-assembled this old willys and it’s running again. Took the hard way and wire wheeled/ground off all the paint on the frame/axles/body and made our repairs, painted the chassis gloss black and the body Desert Tan raptor liner which I like because it has a bit of a nod to the military history but isnt OD green since this is a DJ.

We bought it on the promise that it ran so never heard it run but it started right up and runs pretty free of smoke and very little blow by. Retained factory axles, engine, transmission etc. including driveshafts though new U joints. New wiring, added tail lights and signals, found some seats and modified them to fit since we had none.

HUGE amount of work and it wasnt all a blast but boy riding in it sure is and the amount my son learned while working with me, the amount I learned and the look on his face when it finally started will never be forgotten. PLUS we got a fun little toy to ride around in!

Going to try to post some pics now…

Ok that worked so here’s a couple more.