Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1960 DJ3A Resto with my 18 year old son

4001901E-B685-4CAE-9032-D01178011594.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    We truly need gmwillys to jump in here and see what he thinks.

I am going to say you have a 2A or 3A frame that someone put a body on. The confusing thing is the comments on the bell crank. On the very early jeep, the bell crank was on the axle. On the later models the bell crank was moved to the round cross member you mentioned. That almost makes me think it is a newer Military frame (the rear gas can mounts make me think military) because of the bell crank mount on the round cross member. I cannot see if it has the machine gun mount which would distinguish it from the civilian frame The front axle on the other hand has to be something early like an MB or very early 2A to have the bell crank on it.
    Here is a clear shot of the frame and if I recall correctly the machine gun mount was a steel circle in the middle of the frame which I don’t have but please confirm. Fuel tank under the rear floor where the 3A frame had angled braces to me says DJ but like u said the front axle is confusing. NEed a little help!

Looks like a civilian frame. Take a pic of the left front (drivers side) motor mount. Lets see if it is a 2A or a 3A or later frame. The removed V brace in the rear was to move the tank. The gas tank was not necessarily moved in a farm jeep. It was usually not relocated because the PTO and/or hydraulics would be in the way.

Other differences between the 3A and the 2A are, the trans cross member is bolted to the underside of the frame flange on the 3A. On the 2A frame there is a bracket for the cross member and the cross member sticks out and is bolted to brackets. The frame has straps on the top and bottom.

The more you look at it the more it seems to be a DJ with a conversion to 4 wheel drive from an early power train. The casting numbers on the transmission and transfer case will tell you more about their age. The model of axles might tell us more. The bell crank on the axle is a clear indicator of an early Jeep.The axle models will be cast into the housings.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-05-2022 at 08:18 AM.

I don’t know much about CJs and less about DJs but, isn’t the left front engine mount further forward on a CJ3A than a CJ2A? I know the engine mount bracket is reversed on the CJ3A engine to provide fuel pump clearance.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

That is an indicator for sure Jeff, However that change was kind of filtered in. There are a few 3A's running around that came from the factory in early production with a 3A frame and an adapter at the engine mount, as Willys used up old 2A and Truck motor inventory.

Check this factory flyer out. It looks like yours especially the top. This is advertising for the 2 wheel drive DJ-3A Dispatcher. The 4 wheel drive farm was intended to compete with farm tractors, and I think they were all CJ's not DJ's. It looks like the 2 wheel drive was after the passenger/delivery market. If yours was a 2 wheel drive originally, they did move the gas tank. The bell crank would have to be on the cross member because there was no front axle in a DJ.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-05-2022 at 11:08 AM.

We love mysteries here...

Looks like a civilian frame. Take a pic of the left front (drivers side) motor mount. Lets see if it is a 2A or a 3A or later frame. The removed V brace in the rear was to move the tank. The gas tank was not necessarily moved in a farm jeep. It was usually not relocated because the PTO and/or hydraulics would be in the way.

Other differences between the 3A and the 2A are, the trans cross member is bolted to the underside of the frame flange on the 3A. On the 2A frame there is a bracket for the cross member and the cross member sticks out and is bolted to brackets. The frame has straps on the top and bottom.

The more you look at it the more it seems to be a DJ with a conversion to 4 wheel drive from an early power train. The casting numbers on the transmission and transfer case will tell you more about their age. The model of axles might tell us more. The bell crank on the axle is a clear indicator of an early Jeep.The axle models will be cast into the housings.
    Will see if I cant find axle info but here is the LF motor mount.

FB42EFE8-BA28-4F4C-8587-6A8CF9551023.jpg

I appreciate the feedback! Going to power wash everything today so should be easier to see what’s what.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    We love mysteries here...

Me too- I want to purchase a bunch of parts for steering, suspension but waiting to see what the group thinks I have. I think the 3A parts will work for my steering, brakes, axles but need to be sure obv.

I think you have DJ-3A that someone put axles and a transfer case under, from an old model GPW. When the front axle is cleaned up lets take a closer look at it. The original bell crank mount is visible in your picture. I wonder why it wasn't utilized. I would go back to it and use the steering parts for the CJ3A. The bell crank on the axle was a bad idea for various reasons. I would set the steering up as a CJ3A, and abandon the bell crank mount on the axle.

Here is a picture I found from another forum. The difference in the motor mount location will show a 2A frame from a 3A frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-05-2022 at 11:20 AM.

I think you have DJ-3A that someone put axles and a transfer case under, from an old model GPW. When the front axle is cleaned up lets take a closer look at it. The original bell crank mount is visible in your picture. I wonder why it wasn't utilized. I would go back to it and use the steering parts for the CJ3A. The bell crank on the axle was a bad idea for various reasons. I would set the steering up as a CJ3A, and abandon the bell crank mount on the axle.

Here is a picture I found from another forum. The difference in the motor mount location will show a 2A frame from a 3A frame.
    I definitely have that setup. So then I have a DJ tub on a 3A frame for sure or is there anything else to check? Need to confirm my axles. So far all the parts diagrams i have seen match the 3A so this would agree with my research so far….

That is how it is set up- yes.