Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well i got one!

It sounds like you have made significant progress Steve! Definitely waiting on the pictures. I cant wait to see the fruits of your labor.

Great progress!

As a tip on rust/paint removal, I use these brushes exclusively. The brushes will remove multi-layers of paint, rust, and Bondo. I like using them because they do not throw wires, and leave you with a proper finish for painting after a good wipe down.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-8...ank-60325.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello All,

Pictures as promised below!

I am now thinking that i should perhaps start a new thread, rather then continue this in the "General Disussion" area!jeep 1.jpgJeep 2.jpg

Thanks for the pointers, I an sure i will find the same product over in the the UK.

I have decided to simply wire brush the chassis and axles to remove any loose paint and to tidy up any rust and then just paint with red oxide paint.

Looking good Steve! You are well on your way. You can start a new thread if you like. It is a great way to document your project no matter where you have it.

"...paint with red oxide paint."

Red Rustoleum fixes everything. It preserved the'48 for the 30+ years it sat in the barn with the pigeons and mousey critters.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Looking good Steve! You are well on your way. You can start a new thread if you like. It is a great way to document your project no matter where you have it.
    Hello All,

Thanks for the replys, i will start a new thread tomorrow!

I used to think Rustoleum was great stuff but have lost some of that belief. My pickup started showing rust through the paint on a rear fender. I took the high speed grinder to it to clean it up then sprayed some Rustoleum as a temp fix until I could paint it right. Rust started showing again in about a month. In less than a year I had holes in the fender.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Once rust gets started it is hard to stop. I have used Rustoleum for a long time. It is important to use a rust neutralizing primer if you are going over any existing rust. Sometimes even after sandblasting small amounts of rust can remain. Nothing will keep a rust spot from working its way through eventually. The thing about Rustoleum is it has a fairly soft consistency. It takes the hits from road debris quite well without chipping. It is perfect for frames and areas that will take a beating from road stones.

The Rustoleum epoxy primer works well also.