Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had to have a Jeep

I will. The 2 studs in the area where the gasket yielded are dry and rusty where all the others have a coating of oil. I found that strange. I did try to post a pic of the block as well as the head. I'll try that again. The pics are on the other laptop. The spark plug seats need a spotface. You can see bubbles in the valley when i would wash it. Also there is no number on the block. the boss is blank. A generator motor maybe?

The engine serial number could be gone just from an overhaul. They get milled off when truing up the surface for the head.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Jeff makes a good point. It sounds like your block may have been decked in its life. You mention you installed a copper gasket. I wonder if your gasket was a bad one. There was and still is a rash of bad head gaskets out there.

Do you mean you installed a solid copper gasket? If that is the case the surfaces must be very flat and very, very clean, or failure will occur. Anything much more than .002" off from dead flat and they will be pushing it. The made in USA composite or MLS gasket with a re-torque, is a better choice I think on these low compression "Lil Devils". If you just finished milling the head and decking the block perfectly flat, then maybe. That would be me anyway.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-08-2022 at 07:37 PM.

I used a gasket from Kaiser Willys. I thought I bought the copper gasket, but I just checked it and it's magnetic. Copper colored maybe. Copper is not magnetic. What I have is a 3-piece set, 2 pieces steel with some unknown material in between. I mentioned earlier that I'm going with the 'ol standby Fel-Pro. Low compression engine and the paper will be more compliant.
    Is there anything special needs concerning the nuts. A washer, lock washer, top lock?

The Fel-Pro is the way to go. No washers under the nut from the factory. Just a stud and a nut. Be sure to follow the torque sequence in the service manual.