Thread: Horn Rebuild

Horn Rebuild

Well, after a somewhat significant accident, I am on the disabled list and that means bored out of my mind looking for stuff to do. This means more time with the 55 Wagon, with 1 caveat, I can't crawl on the floor underneath.
    So the priority of projects has been reordered according to what I can do.

Project 1 Fixing the Horn.

Currently the horn operates off a push button on the dash that the previous owner put in a place almost impossible to reach while driving. Attached below are the horn parts that I currently have. I know I'll need the horn wire and I intend to replace those 3 rubber cubes and the metal parts inside them. If you have read any of my previous posts you know my favorite new toy/tool is my bead blaster box, so everything will get it's turn in there as well.
    I assume that the wire comes out somewhere near the steering box and will have to have one of the kids crawl under and do that.
    What else am I missing and how does it all go together. I am pretty sure I have a good idea of it all in my mind, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I think Project 2 might be at least repainting if not totally repairing the 67 year old steering wheel while I have that whole area disassembled.

-VT
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am not sure how the wire runs on those VT. On the CJ's with the Ross box, the wire runs all the way through the middle of the box and comes out the bottom.

Well I hope you heal up fast VT, these Jeeps have a way of keeping you on your back! Hopefully you can get a bunch done sitting in the drivers seat.

The good news is that all of the pieces and parts are available to rebuild the top end around the horn button - even the button itself!

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/horn-bu...wagon-jeepster

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/plastic...wagon-jeepster

I found out the hard way that these don't fit the early steering wheels.

So I think I got everything I need to put the horn back into the steering wheel. Pictures below.
    I am just not sure on the wiring and how it works. I'm pretty sure I know where everything hooks up, but how does the horn button/wire work? Does it ground out the relay pin? I'm pretty sure it doesn't pass 12v to the relay (since I don't see where I would run 12v to it) or... am I missing something else?

Thanks for the help

VTWilly

We need LarryBeard to verify but, I am pretty sure its 12V to #3 and the horn wire to #5. The Horn is on #1.

Horn Hookup

You made this an easy answer with the good pictures of the relay - no guessing here.

The horn runs off of a 12-volt source that is always "hot". (If you need to blow the horn to warn someone - you don't have time to turn on the ignition switch). Connect it to a place that always has power, such as the BAT terminal of the ignition switch or the (-) terminal of the ammeter. You can find several places - use a convenient one.

That source of 12-volt power goes to terminal 3 of the relay, which is the top of the relay coil and the connection to the internal relay switch contact.

Terminal 5 goes to the wire connected to the horn button. When you push the horn button, the metal disc gets pushed against the metal in the steering column and makes a ground connection. Current flows through the relay coil, closes the relay contacts and applies 12-volt power to terminal 1. Terminal 1 connects to the terminal of the horn. Ground for the horn is through the horn's mounting hardware, so make sure that the mount to chassis is clean of rust, paint and crud.

Getting all of the little pieces and parts to fit is going to be a harder job that hooking up the wiring.

Good Luck.

VTWilly. I see that this is an old thread, but I’m looking for some help on a Christmas gift for my father in law. Can you tell me what the thread is on the three bolts that hold the horn button retainer piece in place. I’ve got him a refurbished steering wheel but the threads in the wheel are pretty rough and before I run a tap down them I want to be sure I’ve got the right thread.

I'd start with a 6-32 or 8-32 screw to see what wants to turn into the threads that are left. I don't think it will be as big as a 10-24.