Thread: Just bought a project

Just bought a project

So I just picked up a 65 CJ5... it's a navel air station jeep. I traded an 05 Jeep Liberty with a slipping transmission for it and a 1945 Bantam T3C trailer. Both are in pretty rough shape. the trailer doesn't have any cancerous rust on it (but a fair amount of surface rust) but I wish I could say the same about the CJ5. The entire floor needs replaced, both front and rear floors. It has cancer on the rocker panels on both sides in the usual spots, and a few other areas like on the back of the fenders where that weird little inner and outer panels are.

I want to restore it back to its original glory as a navel air station jeep, same original color (blue gray), military tires etc, I think that navy heritage may add a certain amount of value to it (because I think they were pretty rare), that maybe a regular CJ5 might not. I've considered doing a tub swap to save time in the rebuild process but I also like the idea of keeping as much of the original body as possible. I will end up replacing/repairing some side panels and the entire floor in the process anyway. It needs a new windshield frame because it has one from a later era CJ with the wipers on the bottom instead of the top, and as I get into it I'm sure I will find other surprises.

The question I have is: would it diminish the value of it much by doing a new tub (remanufactured) swap, as apposed to patching, repairing and replacing? I have considered trying to find an early CJ5 in fairly good condition and swapping the body with it. to this point I haven't seen much around let alone anything in good enough condition to swap!

thoughts?
    -Paul

Paul, first Welcome aboard! I like your project. A great start with what it sounds like you have. The value of your Jeep is in the restore. If you get a tub kit, with some elbow grease and a welder, some time and it is the same as the original. So no a tub kit wont lower its value if it is a good restore. When you are making your decision, I think most of the guy's and gal's here will agree, if the floor is the only thing gone replace it. If the fenders and side panels are also gone it might be better to replace the tub. If you have to do a lot of steel work on the visible panels it could be hard to make it look good. In that case trying to reuse the original might end up not as good as the reproduction replacement. An attempt to bring back steel that is too far gone may detract from the value. It is really dependent on your skill and tenacity. gmwillys can and will bring it all back to life. Its what he does. For me I don't have that skill.

I did a tub kit on mine. I am very happy with it. I have had many offers to sell, no one says I don't like the tub kit!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-01-2022 at 06:40 AM.

Welcome Paul!!!!
    Don’t let bmorgil kid you or anyone else, he is very capable of bringing something back to life as is gmwillys and Larrbeard as well!!!
    Now that we have that all cleared up
    I agree with bmorgil that if it’s just the floor fix just replace it, but if you start getting into fenders, side panels, the hood or grille your going to be further ahead with a new tub kit. Plus the frustration, cussing yourself saying “what did I get myself into” later and it also depends on how nice you want it to be when you stand back and look at her!!
    I went with the new tub on mine because when I started I couldn’t weld and putty to save my life, but I got decent by the time I finished it only bc I changed it around So Many times as I went.
    It’s sounds like you’ve got a perfect starter for a Gem when your finished any direction you go.
    P.S. take a look at bmorgils Baby and you’ll agree he’s trying to full us
    Last edited by TJones; 10-01-2022 at 08:17 AM.

Thank you for your replies... I had already kinda come to that same conclusion but wanted to hear some insight from those who have already been down the road, so again thank you. I have a little time to decide, I primarily got the Jeep so my son who is a senior in high school could have a project to work on in his auto shop class. I think getting it mechanically sound may take the whole school year. When we get the mechanics working then we will tackle the problem with the cosmetics. Thank you all again for your insight, I really appreciate it.
    IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg

You couldn't have picked a better vehicle to start them on. The mechanics of these will take you right to all the "basics". It is a "Basic Vehicle" in all aspects of the word!

We’ve only had it a couple of weeks… I wanted to help get it running before I sent it to the school to turn them loose on it there. I have already enjoyed the heck out of showing him how it works. It’s been a real joy, explaining the old, mechanical distributor, with the points and condenser. Showing him the mechanical fuel pump and carburetor, and how they used to do things before the days of ECM‘s, fuel injection and sensors for everything. That alone made it money well spent.

That is absolutely the truth there! In learning to work with the newer computer controlled cars, I often find the knowledge of why it works and how it has evolved is invaluable. You often find yourself explaining to someone how timing used to be controlled and what a timing curve is, and suddenly the whole timing thing makes a lot more sense!