First post, so if I'm posting in the wrong place please let me know.

I'm wanting to do something nice for my father in law for Christmas and am looking for some help tracking down dimensions for the steering column and shaft on a 62 Willys Truck. What I'm planning is to add power steering by using an EPS (electric power steering or assisted steering) out of a Prius (sorry purists). I recently did this to my 62 F100, and he really seemed to like it, and looking at his Willys truck it should be a little easier than on the Ford. In short, I'm just splicing the EPS into the existing column.

That said, I don't want to ruin the surprise by pulling his column apart to get all the dimensions so I was hoping somebody could help out. I'd like to mock some of the pieces up and cut to final length once we disassemble, so I'm really just looking for the steering shaft diameter, and the steering column outside and inside diameter. Overall length would also be helpful but not necessary.

In doing some research I see that a lot of these trucks came with a Ross TL-12 steering gear. I know that his has a U-joint just inside the engine bay near the firewall which doesn't seem to be consistent with the diagrams I've seen of the Ross setup where they looked to just be a solid shaft from the gear all the way to the steering wheel. Imagine this could have varied over the years. If it makes any difference his truck is 6-226. I did ask and he said he has a Ross steering gear, but couldn't tell what the number was.

Any help is appreciated.