Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello From Kansas!

Hello From Kansas!

Just wanted to pop in and say hello and (try to?) post a picture of my latest project. After lusting after a military jeep since I was a wee lad I finally pulled the trigger on this one a couple months ago and dragged it home from Nebraska. It is a ‘44 GPW body on a ‘45 MB chassis.

Someone at some point put an F head motor in it that is currently stuck. A week after I dragged it home I found some Willys wheels with the old NDT tires on FB marketplace so I had to grab those up! On the way home from that adventure I stopped to look at a pile of MB parts that another guy was selling and went back the next weekend and picked up a Go Devil engine in pieces and a few other bits and bobs.

The project will be a long term one. Fortunately most of the major bits are there and I have already started buying other little bits and pieces like handles and such.

I’m new to these vehicles so I will sit back and try to use the search function and take it all in!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike P; 10-07-2022 at 05:49 PM.

" It is a ‘44 GPW body on a ‘45 MB chassis."

That could well have been the result of post WW II Depot rebuild. Whatever fit went back onto the frame - kind of like running M1 rifles through Depot Overhaul. Manufacturer's don't matter, just parts.

Welcome Mike! That should be a great project. I like the "operating room".

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    " It is a ‘44 GPW body on a ‘45 MB chassis."

That could well have been the result of post WW II Depot rebuild. Whatever fit went back onto the frame - kind of like running M1 rifles through Depot Overhaul. Manufacturer's don't matter, just parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Welcome Mike! That should be a great project. I like the "operating room".
    Thanks gents! Unfortunately the guy I got it from had no history on it. It had some 14” wheels and tires that looked like they were from the ‘60s. There is also a radio (AM) and antennae mount and it looks like it may have had a roll bar of some sort at some time as well. Someone used it as their little street buggy! It is slathered with failing undercoating but that’s probably what saved it!

Overall it’s actually in pretty good shape. The floors are really nice and it has minimal rust really. It must have been stored indoors as it has a pretty good coating of barn dirt on it.

Now it’s in my pole barn as my shop and garages are already full. I decided to dress up it’s little area with all the stuff I’ve collected/ inherited over the years, ha! Nerd alert!

Love the nostalgia and the Jeep! It is rare to find one with floorboards. You definitely have a good start for whatever you want to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Love the nostalgia and the Jeep! It is rare to find one with floorboards. You definitely have a good start for whatever you want to do with it.
    Thanks! I’m super excited about it! At this point I don’t plan on a full restoration (but that could change, ha!} I’d like to get it mechanically sound and use it around the farm with the occasional jaunt to town thrown in for good measure. Anyway, it will be a long term project. Maybe I’ll start a “resurrection” thread to keep me honest!

Welcome Mike P,

Great project!

Everything you may need to know about Depot reconditioning, just in case you have any residual nomenclature attached to the tub under all the crud. This may lead to gathering a little bit of the history of your rig;

http://www.ewillys.com/2019/02/12/je...ning-programs/

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Welcome Mike P,

Great project!

Everything you may need to know about Depot reconditioning, just in case you have any residual nomenclature attached to the tub under all the crud. This may lead to gathering a little bit of the history of your rig;

http://www.ewillys.com/2019/02/12/je...ning-programs/
    Hey thanks for that! Very interesting article!

I’ve been adding a few things here and there as time and money allow. I picked up some reproduction seat frames from C&C Equipment (MD Juan stuff I believe?) and a friend mentioned he had a windshield on his swap meet pile. Turned out to be a CJ2A screen but close enough for now. The price was right and it’s in pretty good shape!

Now I can properly sit in her and make Jeep noses!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good deal on the windshield frame. Most wouldn't know the difference on the 2A frame and the MB/GPW frames, so it will do nicely until you find the right one for your build.