Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something has me a bit befuddled???

Something has me a bit befuddled???

I have a 65 CJ5 with the 134 motor… the Jeep was a pretty big mess when I got it so I’ve been working to get it started. I’ve torn out all of the wiring because it was a rats nest splices, butt connectors, wire nuts and bare wires and I didn’t trust what was there.

Until I’m ready to put in the new wiring harness I just wired up the starter, ignition system and alternator so I could try getting the engine started. I purchased a new key switch (4 post… bat, acc, ign, start) from the auto parts store and wired it in.

Now for what has me “befuddled…” When I went to start it, I turned the key the first notch to the “on” position the engine started cranking over. I quickly turned it off and checked my wiring that everything was going where it was supposed to be going, it all was. I tried it again with the same result, this time going all the way to the start position to see what would happen, and when I turned it to there it stopped cranking.

I have reviewed the service manual wiring diagrams and have even consulted the Google the great oracle. Everything I see leads me to believe I have it wired correctly. I then tried switching the “on” and the “start” wires to see if that changed anything… it didn’t.

I’m thinking the problem is either with the ignition switch itself being defective, or possibly a problem in the starter solenoid. My question is… has anyone else ever experienced anything like this that they could possibly share some thoughts or insight with me. I’ve never heard of a solenoid causing that issue, but I guess it could be possible if there was something that came loose or somehow got inside the circuitry (during its decades of sitting untouched in a pasture) completing the circuit. I think I’m leaning toward it being a problem with the starter switch itself. It was a cheap switch switch from Auto Zone and it may have just been assembled poorly.

Anyway… any insight would be appreciated, thanks

-Paul

I think you already have this one figured out Paul. The only way the starter can energize is if there is 12 Volts at the solenoid. If you are sure on the wiring, the switch would have to be bad. There should be just one wire going from the "Start" position on the ignition switch hooked directly to the solenoid. The only time there should be 12 volts there is when the key is in the "Start" position. If there is 12 volts there when the switch is in the "On" position, either there is a 12 volt source spliced into that wire or the switch is bad internally. I would disconnect the starter solenoid and the positive lead to the coil, turn the key to "On", put a volt meter on the lead at the solenoid and look for the 12 volt source to the solenoid with the key on.

I'm with Bmorgil on his assessment of the situation. A quick and dirty check would be to unhook the start and ignition wires from the switch and turn the key to the on position. Take your meter and measure the voltage on the ignition blade to see if there is power there, and the same on the start blade. If you have power on the start with the key in the on position, then your switch is faulty.

I'll chime in and guess bad switch as well. Check the switch with the OHMS function of the meter to look for things connecting together when they shouldn't. Continuity checks tend to be a bit easier to make than on-vehicle voltage checks. And - make really sure there isn't one old wire hiding somewhere.....

The good news is that the solenoid engaged the starter and it turned the engine over. In the Old Jeep world, two good results and one uh-oh are a pretty good day.

Post us a picture of the project.

I like the "good news" part Larry! How true. A continuity check at the switch would definitely rule it out.

Thank you all for your response. I was pretty happy when the engine cranked over… that was certainly a win. There are no other wires that are connected anywhere going to the starter/ignition system other than the ones that I ran so I am able to rule that out. I was planning to pull the switch out tonight after work and test it. I’ve gone over it again and again in my mind and am 100% confident that it’s wired up correctly (it’s a fairly simple circuit) so I keep coming back to the switch. I didn’t work on it yesterday at all, so I’ll get after it tonight when I get home and rule out, or confirm that the switch is the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Post us a picture of the project.
    I will… I need to reduce the resolution of the photo’s, they are to high of resolution to upload.
    Last edited by 9mmAuto; 10-17-2022 at 03:25 PM.

Last edited by 9mmAuto; 10-17-2022 at 07:43 PM.

Plenty of good steel there Paul! That thing should be a great start for a project.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-17-2022 at 04:26 PM.

I confirmed... it is the switch!