Thread: Anyone know what I have here? I need shifter bezels, but don't know what trans/transf

Anyone know what I have here? I need shifter bezels, but don't know what trans/transf

Hello everyone, I have this 1959 CJ5 that a previous owner put a Dauntless V6 in. I'm trying to figure out and acquire the shifter covers/bezels, and boots for it. Does anyone know from the picture, what I need to look for? Also where to find them? From what I can find on Google images, it could be from a 1970 or so.310166267_1451959231948269_44099219370402584_n.jpgThanks!

Welcome Joe59,

The transfer case is a Dana 300 single lever transfer case. The original transfer case would have been a two lever Dana 18, and the levers would have come up through where your overdrive lever is now. You'll have to do some tinkering to get a bezel and boot to both be functional and appealing to the eye.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/transfe...-transfer-case

In my opinion, I would look at some generic or aftermarket shifter boots with bezels that are sold together.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/70-BFS/10002/-1

Thank you so much for your help. I'll check out the link.
    Any guess as to what year it might be?

A Dana 300 would have been in Jeeps from Late 1979-1980 to 1986. I can tell you first hand however that my Dad was testing them in Jeep Wagon's in prototype form (never released for production in the wagon) in the 1970's. So there were a few running around prior to that. There should be some casting numbers on the tail shaft and a Jeep part number stamped in. It should start with a number 5.

The 300 is known for its strength. I have seen them behind some very large motors. They are much quieter in 4 wheel drive especially in low. The gear set was Dana's first venture into a new way to cut gears called "Helical Gear Cutting". In those days testing went on for years sometimes before a design was released. The products had to accumulate real time data. The end result was one tough transfer case. You have a great setup for power and a reliable drivetrain to handle it.

The transmission should be a Tremec T176.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-21-2022 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks for the great info. I didn't realize that these were that recent. Probably the same driveline I had in my 1979 CJ5, but there was no overdrive in that one.