Thread: compression/timing

compression/timing

ok.....bad news on my L134 which I knew was tired. Compression from front to back. 90,85,90,67. Put a small amount of oil in #4 and it came up to 85. This all came about when the motor started to misfire. I did the 6V to 12V conversion and the wires aren't new or the distributor. I was planning on doing a tune up before it started sputtering. Question, will it run somewhat smooth if I do a complete tune up?

67 is low no matter how you look at it but, you must have a warm engine for accurate pressure readings. Gasoline engines do not like to fire under 60 psi. This is dependent greatly on ambient temperature. When its cold you probably need at least 80. I am assuming the #4 plug showed signs of oil fouling. The biggest tell tale of an engine that is using oil and losing pressure past the rings, are the threads on the spark plugs. As the firing pressure is forced past the rings, the combustion gasses are sent right into the oil. The oil will get dirty and abrasive fairly quick. The pressure in the cylinder will force the oil that doesn't burn right up the threads. You will see wet black oil on the threads.

So if you give it some help on combustion with fresh plugs and top condition ignition components, it will run much better until that cylinder drops below 60psi warm then its not going to be able to fire that cylinder. You need to keep an eye on the oil level and its color. When you cant see easily through the oil on the dip stick you should change it. As it fouls #4 plug, keep it clean down the insulator and sharp on the electrode. This will help the load on the secondary ignition components. I have limped em along myself for a long time! One day its just gonna stop firing that hole.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-21-2022 at 05:54 PM.

Anyone ever tell your your a Bad arse!

Automatic correction won’t let me type in what I wanted to type. Lol

I’m on it…..

Quote Originally Posted by NotAGolfCart View Post
    Anyone ever tell your your a Bad arse!
    On a recent trip to the Proctologist, that is exactly what he said! Wait maybe he said you HAVE a bad a...

No, NotAGolfCart had it right. As far as the proctologist in regard to your south end, they get paid good money to tell you what's wrong with you.

That’s Hilarious
    You 2 guys are on the verge of getting flagged