Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New wiring harness source?

New wiring harness source?

I have a 1960 DJ3A on an older frame (see my resto thread in projects section) of some unknown vintage. Where can I start to get a wiring diagram to understand what should be on the vehicle for electrical items/wiring and then where might I get a new wiring harness made up?

Jeep will have:
    Headlights
    Turn signals (separate up front and integral to brake lights in rear)
    Gauges per factory
    Brake lights
    Horn
    Maybe an interior dash light
    Maybe heat
    Would like a couple extra fuse positions for the future.

Thanks,

Ben

The service manual for the jeep will have one. You may find a few online through a search for free. They should all be basically the same. 6 volt or 12 volt and alternator or generator are the basic differences.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Ben if you want to start from scratch Summit Racing has “Painless Performance “ a wiring harness kit that replaces everything and it is very user friendly to install.
    I used one on my Jeep project, but a buddy of mine installed it and he said it was a really nice harness kit and had everything in it!!
    And like Jeff states it all depends if what you have currently is a 6 or 12 volt system running a generator or a alternator.
    Last edited by TJones; 10-24-2022 at 05:24 AM.

Ben, here is a Service Manual PDF from our tech section. The wiring diagram is pretty basic, there's not much to it.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...rive-DJ-5-DJ-6

If you take a look at TJones's thread,
    https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...w-to-the-Forum , You will see some "Top End" wiring. It doesn't get any better than the job on his.

According to the manual, it’s a 12 volt system. If it is a 4 cylinder then it had a generator originally and the 6 cylinder would have come with an alternator.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Ok I have a service manual but its nice to have it in PDF thank you.

Is there an easy 1 wire alternator to swap into my 4 cyl? It has the original generator which may work just fine- havent started it!

Will look into Painless as an option- I have seen their advertisements everywhere don’t know why I didnt think of it. Maybe they will give me a 2 for one with the willys and my 85 CJ7….

Any GM 10SI one wire will swap in. I use a PowerMaster one wire in mine. They are made in USA. Any one wire\self exciting alternator will work. You do not need a high amp output. A 35 amp will do but, it might be hard to find anything under 60 amps. Keep in mind One Wire alternators need to reach a certain RPM before they will start to charge. You want to pick one that starts charging at a low RPM.

Powermaster also offers a "Generator Look Alike" which is a one wire alternator inside the original generator case. Page 54 is the start of the generator look a likes. For a CJ generator look a like you would use a Powermaster 82051 for 12 volts or a 82057 for 6 volts.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/catalog.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-25-2022 at 08:13 AM. Reason: add generator

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    ... Keep in mind One Wire alternators need to reach a certain RPM before they will start to charge…
    That is the reason I won’t use a one wire alternator if I can help it. Someone swapped a generator for a one wire alternator on a tractor I own. It wouldn’t charge unless I brought the throttle almost to full first.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

It is important to know what the RPM to excite the charge cycle is. Most are around 1400 to 2400 alternator rotor RPM The pulley size will determine engine RPM. Once it is excited, it will keep charging no mater the RPM. My Powermaster is a 1400 RPM alternator rotor speed, and it starts charging as soon as the motor fires. With the 3 to 1 pulley that is just below 500 engine RPM. It sounds like the one on your tractor had a problem or a very small pulley.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 10-26-2022 at 08:14 AM.

The one I put on the Father in Laws 8n ford was a Delco Remy 7127 which is what they called out for the tractor from a 6 volt to 12 volt conversion and a one wire alternator , it starts charging at 800-1000 rpm’s if that helps out any guys.