Thread: 12v Alternator Issues

Threaded View

12v Alternator Issues

Okay, so the 55 Wagon has been 12v converted and now uses the alternator pictured below. The green wire connects to the box shown and the red wire attaches to the positive terminal on the fuse box, where the battery positive also connects. As far as I can tell, there is no voltage regulator (not external anyway).
    I have a Volt meter inside the cab, that when driving (2200 rpm or so) pins to like 18v. Also my headlight brightness is affected by my engine RPM.

So, something is not kosher for sure. I recently had the headlights keep popping a fuse and am working on replacing everything in the headlight circut (wires, switches, fuse box ect) and I suspect that too high voltage may have caused some of the issue.

What should I do? I have come up with a few options, not sure which is best or even viable.

1. Could just replace the alternator (expensive)
    2. Could run the Alt output to the battery and then just the battery to the fuse box. Using the battery as a way to regulate the voltage, but I'd wonder if putting 18 volt to the battery will damage it.
    3. I could add a voltage regulator into the circuit somewhere. This should work but if the Alt is supposed to have one that isn't working would this just be a band-aid for bigger issues?

What have I missed??

Thanks all!

VTWilly
    Attached Images Attached Images