Thread: Valves Guides

Valves Guides

Any ideas on how to safely remove valve guides.... The top of one is cracked has to come out....I fashioned a home made puller using 38 threaded rod and a rounded off nut that would pull the guide through block....No good....I could try a stainless threaded rod.....Im using a old hub on top of block to spread the load and it has a nice flat shoulder that lays flat against block......Im. very worried about damaging this block
    Any ideas?

Its done using the correct driver. They are driven out and then driven back in to the correct depth. Go to the Jeep Universal Service Manual Section D paragraph D-58 for instruction on how to make drivers. Or you can go here for drivers and reamers https://goodson.com/collections/valve-guide-drivers .
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-04-2022 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Its done using the correct driver. They are driven out and then driven back in to the correct depth. Go to the Jeep Universal Service Manual Section D paragraph D-58 for instruction on how to make drivers. Or you can go here for drivers and reamers https://goodson.com/collections/valve-guide-drivers .
    I took a closer look.....The Guides in this engine im betting have never been changed.....The exhaust valve guides were they are in the valve port, subject to exhaust gasses have actually worn away....They have a wear taper and are very thin and thats why the one shattering when I went to drive it out.....Going to give it another try tomorrow