Thread: Hey Everyone, I'm Joe. I have a 59 CJ5 I'm starting to restore.

Hey Everyone, I'm Joe. I have a 59 CJ5 I'm starting to restore.

Glad to be in this forum and looking forward to hearing from all of you.
    I'm a carpenter by trade and do some woodworking. I recently started using a CNC router, and a CNC laser engraver. Hoping to make some neat Willys/Jeep things.
    My project is a 1959 CJ5 that spent its life in Colorado until 2020 when I brought it home to Michigan.
    Previous owners swapped the engine to a Dauntless V6. I have to clean up a few loose ends to get it roadworthy, but as of a week ago, I got it far enough to drive it around my property.
    It's been about 25 or so years since I've owned a Jeep and I can't wait to get going on this one.
    So far it's been a pleasure to work on since for the first time in my life, I don't have to have it running and driving for work in the morning. I like being able to walk away from it for awhile when I start getting frustrated.
    Almost no rust on it, and what there is, is only surface rust. Looking forward to driving it to local car shows next spring and summer.
    295987081_417145207258222_2842913587480463160_n.jpg
    Last edited by Joe59; 10-20-2022 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Adding a picture

Welcome Joe!!!!
    You do have a dandy of a start to a restore project!!
    Bring on any questions or problems you may run across.
    Very nice CJ.

Welcome Joe! I agree with gm, a dandy for sure. The steel looks new.

I read your statement about "for the first time in my life, I don't have to have it running and driving for work in the morning" and I laughed and went back in time. Man I remember paying those dues. Laying in the street or the stones, trying to get it running by work in the morning. There are very few learning survival tactics like that anymore.

Welcome Joe… looking at your Jeep is a good reminder of what they look like without rust holes in them… that looks like a great Jeep to work on.

I also can relate to the statement about not having to worry about it getting you to work the next day. My 65 is the first vehicle I’ve ever had in my life that if I don’t feel like fixing it one day, nobody cares but me. I still have a 2008 wrangler that reminds me fairly often about needing to get it working the next day. That sucker is a pain in my neck sometimes with all of the emissions related CEL lights that it gets.