Thread: Ham's '48: Twinkle Twinkle Little Truck ...

Threaded View

Ham's '48: Twinkle Twinkle Little Truck ...

Well, it started out kind of low key; “Honey, they are going to have a Parade of Lights the Friday after Thanksgiving. Wouldn’t it be neat to light up the Old Truck”. I think you see where this is heading already.

I made some sort of half-hearted excuse about not knowing how to do something like that, but then – the Man Challenge Flag was thrown; “Well didn’t that guy down in Alabama (she didn’t remember GMWillys by his nickname) put lights on his cute little old Jeep in a parade last year? Maybe you should ask him how he did it?” Ask for help - NEVER!

Well, thanks to Amazon Prime, it didn’t take but a couple of days and we had the makings of a mobile light show. Now the ’48 doesn’t have the 110-volt power plugs the new Jeeps have, so we were limited to battery power – so we decided to use little twinkle lights to accentuate the classic lines of the Old Jeep with a splash of color from a set of net lights to add flair to the display. Oh, it also had stars on the doors, reindeer horns on the windows and a red nose too.

When it was done, using most of a roll of paint tape to stick the lights to the truck, my wife declared; ”It’s really tacky in a nice way.” Now, just what does that mean? So, I showed up at the parade – there was a conflict with another family function and no one else was able to come- they might not have wanted to be seen with the display.

I asked the guy organizing the parade where he wanted me. Now, this guy is one of the neighborhood kids who knew the truck in its mid-70’s second lifetime and he replied; “Right up front, just behind the police car leading the route”. So there I was, out in front again.

It was a typical small town event with fire engines, horses draped with lights, and other tacky vehicles with blow-up Santas, Elves and Grinches. Guys, I have to admit that it gives you an ego boost to hear; “Nice Jeep Truck” or to hear a Dad tell a little kid’ “Look, it’s an old Jeep Truck”. The new Jeeps with their gaudy LED lights were at the back … I guess they didn’t want them to detract from the classic look of the Old Jeep.

It was a fun event – but I’m not sure the ’48 will ever be able to hold its’ head up in public again. What the heck, it’s an Old Truck, have fun with it!
    Attached Images Attached Images