Thread: 1945 mb

1945 mb

Hi, In 2012 a friend contacted me. Her father in law just past away. While her and her son were preparing the house and garage for sale. They came across a scooter. Knowing that I restore antique motorcycles she wanted to know if I wanted the scooter. I said yes and volunteered to help with the clean out. I have trailers and extra hands. The father in law was a HVAC guy. It took a few trailers loads to clean the garage to even reach the scooter. Next to the scooter is a jeep. Not knowing anything about jeeps (not my thing). I made her and offer anyway just to be one less thing she has to deal with. I restored the scooter a 1948 Cushman step through Model 54. Now for the jeep, sat in my garage waiting for TLC. Did my diligence on researching before attempting a restoration. Mostly parts availability. Now for what I found so far. Nomenclature on dash: Model MB-ORD, delivery date June 22,1945, serial number 449863. Serial number on frame matches. Titled in NJ 1948, last NJ inspection sticker is 1963. Pulled engine, sitting so long, never know what may be stuck. Disassembled and found three exhaust valves stuck. I believe this motor is a 1948 and has low mileage. Do not know when father in law bought jeep. Odometer reads 86157, some of that is from 1945 to 1948 than 1948 to 1963 on a new motor. No ring ridge, pistons came right out. Telescoped cylinders no oval and measured 3.125. Journals, rods and mains were within specs. and no scoring. Bearings also marked (std). As you may know they phased out the chain driven cam in about 1946. This motor is a gear driven cam. On the head there is a raised cast numbers (W4) (6-48) (5-15) 800ST6. Block casting number:641087-L-W11A NI-CR-N. The block has no serial number. I have a though for this, there may be other explanations. During inspection on base, the government determine the 1945 motor needed to be replaced before release to surplus. They installed a created motor without serial number issued. Just an added note the Generator armature laminations are stamped GEG-2134F and 7 45. The carburetor is a Carter WO. This article is written as a point of interest. Please keeps comments respectful, I'm a flight risk.

Lone Rider, love that name, it sounds like you have a very nice representation of the last of the MB's. I would say someone did something to the motor. The casting number is correct for the early gear drive block. It is possible you have one of the first gear drive motors.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 09-23-2022 at 03:30 PM.

Body- Chassis 1945 MB

The Body and Chassis are original army lusterless green. Paint is peeling and virgin metal underneath. For its age its in good shape. For five years Ive attended Aberdeen Maryland Ripkin Field swap meet. I have acquired all necessary components to make 100% military. Right down to the $250 tire pump that mounts under the back seat. lol. My plan is to restore the motor. Do a frame off and bring the chassis back to its original glory. I would like to return it to the original color...OD Green. I haven't decided the avenue to take dealing with the body. It has a lot of patina. The only cancer spot is on the foot step on passenger side. They ran a inverted support channel that holds dirt and water making it pron to rust. All the canvas straps that hold ax shovel jerry can are so dry rotted they fall apart in you hands. I have the original canvas top. It is so bad when I try to unfold it, it tears in a new location. So I just keep it folded in shed because in has a bad odor. I feel it wouldn't be right to install the correct lighting and other components that are restored and not do the same to the body. All the seats need new padding and canvas. It has miss match tires on original combat rims. I have a total of 5 original combat rims and 5 new 16" Firestone tires non directional. As you can see I been doing my homework. lol Many people ask what am I going to do with this project when finished. That's a simple answer:Just like the show bikes I built and received numinous trophies. Let the public see a bit of history. I will do the same, VFW, American Legion, parades, not to mention all the car and military shows. Let the old timers come out and kick the tires.lol I'm an event free lance photographer. I pick the events and submit to various magazines. I feel a lot of effort is put forward in to these restoration projects, I want to show my appreciation by capturing a bit of their history. All my photos are free, they just need to ask.

Lone Rider

Hi Again, on another note with an update to the progress on the 45' MB. It is completely dismantled. I haven't started on the body yet. The motor is waiting for me to order the rebuild parts. The chassis is stripped completely waiting for sand blasting. Both rears are on movable stands waiting for sand blasting too. The combat rims are apart also waiting for sand blasting. The radiator is Brass and stamped GPW and an "F" script. The right Tie Rod end is also stamp with a "F" script. Three Shocks are Monroe and one Gabriel. The Gabriel has a "F" script. There is a faint serial number on the boss above the water pump1 MB 20257). I managed to talk with a friend of Everett previous owner. He said Everett was a sergeant in the National Guard. Everett was assigned to the motor Pool. It is my belief that Everett had these components switch out along with the motor. The cool thing is, this work was done on base. When this MB became available to be purchased, that maybe is how Everett acquired the MB. All parts except the above mentioned are in primer. When I order the engine rebuild kit OD Green will be included. Both drive shaft yokes coming out of the transfer case had their castle nuts driven on with a chisel. The nuts are 1-1/4". The nuts were so mangled that I had to chisel on an angle to back them off.

Lone Rider

Old Motor Pool Sergeants and Company Armorers had ways to get things they wanted. You just had to plan ahead and be patient.

Wow LR you have a great piece of history there! I'll bet LarrBeard knew how to get what he needed from the motor pool, rank has its privilege! He did have trouble bringing the big ship home.

We have to see pictures of this LR. A great project you have going. That is going to be a very nicely restored piece of history.

Welcome Lone Rider,

You have yourself a great project here. I appreciate your level of detail in your research and the back story that you provided.

I’m watching as well! And working on a war jeep myself. Best of luck and post some pics when you can!