Thread: Help with frame ID??

Hybrid View

Help with frame ID??

Hi, am helping my dad with a 46 CJ-2A rebuild, the frame we have is bad. can anyone ID the frame in the photo? there is no tag on the front frame horn, from photos I have seen I believe this will work on the 46 CJ-2A, would appreciate some advice from experienced rebuilders.

Thank You!! Mike Sweet
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Mike! We need gmwillys to take a look, but the front frame horns look like a CJ3 frame.

Bmorgil is correct in his observation. You can use the CJ3 frame for the 2A without any issue. The motor mounts will match up with your 2A engine.

Our 2A had a snowplow mounted, and over time it destroyed the front frame rails to which several pieces of scrap were grubbed on over the remainder of the frame. I took a donor front frame stub assembly from another frame that was rotten in the middle and graphed it into place. The donor frame was actually a 3A frame, but I used parts from the 2A shown on the trailer to gain the gussets for the proper 2A look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-28-2022 at 11:58 PM.

Frame ID

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Bmorgil is correct in his observation. You can use the CJ3 frame for the 2A without any issue. The motor mounts will match up with your 2A engine.

Our 2A had a snowplow mounted, and over time it destroyed the front frame rails to which several pieces of scrap were grubbed on over the remainder of the frame. I took a donor front frame stub assembly from another frame that was rotten in the middle and graphed it into place. The donor frame was actually a 3A frame, but I used parts from the 2A shown on the trailer to gain the gussets for the proper 2A look.
    Thanks for the info, now that I know it will work we can order parts to get the project moving. Appreciate your help! Mike

Mike,

I had a complete blond moment on my reply from a few nights ago.... Thank you Bmorgil to help keeping me honest on the engine mounts for the 2A vs the 3A frame. The 2A driver's side engine mount is offset from the passenger side. There are a couple of options that can be done to retrofit the frame. 1) fabricate an adapter to line up the driver's side mount to the frame mount, 2) find a 3A front engine mount plate that was designed to mount the engine to the 3A frame. See some other Forum information linked below;

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/m...opic42805.html

https://www.cj3apage.com/index/Tech_...ting_parts.htm
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-30-2022 at 09:58 PM.

Your workin' too hard gm! Good thing your young. Keep at it gm, Christmas is coming and you can sleep in.