Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: ***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

Not too much happening with the MB though I did contact a guy in the Netherlands that makes reproduction data plates that are suppose to be the best ones to get (according to the G503 site.) I gave him my chassis and tub numbers and he was able to pinpoint my jeep’s DOD as April 20, 1945. How cool is that? He sent a picture of a jeep’s original data plate that was just 3 numbers after mine for production that day! Anyway, I ordered a full set of data/shipping plates and associated hardware because that’s the kind of stuff I nerd out on....

Of course I’ll post some pics when they arrive.

Oh also, got the little motor run in a few weeks ago but forgot to post this vid. This is after I put the new points/ condenser in and it even starts hot now. Here is a start from being completely stone cold…

https://youtube.com/shorts/GhMxu_BfoFo?feature=share

Just awesome Mike! You are really coming up with the stuff that makes this so much fun. To have all the history you can get is a great part of this. I love your test stand. I have one of those dwell tachs! That stuff is getting hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Just awesome Mike! You are really coming up with the stuff that makes this so much fun. To have all the history you can get is a great part of this. I love your test stand. I have one of those dwell tachs! That stuff is getting hard to find.
    Thanks man! I’m having fun with this little car! The test stand is fun! I’ve had that dwell/tach meter for a really long time, ha! I used Velcro to attach it so it can still be used elsewhere easily if needed.

Not a lot of news though I did take a gamble on a crusty set of original window latches off eBay and even found some olive drab in the underside after bead blasting them! They were listed as CJ2A in the ad so that was a nice surprise.

Also my data plates arrived on Saturday so of course I had to run right out and install them! They are a really nice product! It’s hard to believe that there were 7 different versions of the tags during the short MB run. This guy offers all of them so you get what was original to the Jeep!

Pics later as I have an appointment with the chiropractor in a minute!

Some pics…
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking great Mike! The windshield latches were a good find, and came out nice.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Looking great Mike! The windshield latches were a good find, and came out nice.
    Thank you sir!

I got a little bit done this weekend and finally mounted the new “gum dipped” NDTs at all four corners! I’ve got an old Coats 10/10 tire machine but man it was a struggle to get those old dry ‘60s tires off the wheels…PHEW!

Oh man I wish I had an old Coats machine! They look the part now.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Oh man I wish I had an old Coats machine! They look the part now.
    It’s pretty handy! I have an old Sun Service Equipment spin balancer too mostly because I love old Sun stuff!

Small update as I’m on vacation this week and trying to cross many things off the list around the farmette. One of which being to get this stuck F head out of the chassis so I can get the chassis cleaned up!