Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: ***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

Quote Originally Posted by 56willys View Post
    Not 100% sure, just thinking outside the box. Could they have been swapped for 10 or 11 inch brakes? Maybe from a jeepster.
    I am open to suggestions! The drums appear to be wartime (based on my limited knowledge!) And I’m just basing that on the fact that the port side has left hand lugs!

Pull off a brake drum and lets see whats under there Mike. Definitely not a GPW backing plate.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Pull off a brake drum and lets see whats under there Mike. Definitely not a GPW backing plate.
    Maybe this weekend if I finish my chores I’ll pop one off. Really don’t need to know just yet. Just wanted to put it out there in the universe, ha!

I started adding some basic electricity to the “motor pool” barn where the Jeep is parked so I can work out here and actually be able to see, ha! I have these old green porcelain lights I’ve hoarded for years. I’ve got one more to put over the workbench area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Damn sideways pics!!!

Those lights are so nostalgic! I remember those big fixtures from when I was very young hanging around the shops and factories. They look perfect in the barn.

I'm digging the lights. Very appropriate for the motor pool.

As far as the brake conundrum, it looks to me like International Scout brakes.

As an example;

https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store...BP-225-PR.html

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Those lights are so nostalgic! I remember those big fixtures from when I was very young hanging around the shops and factories. They look perfect in the barn.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I'm digging the lights. Very appropriate for the motor pool.
    Thanks fellas! I really like the look too! Added one more over the workbench and moved some stuff around this weekend. It’s pretty good light for 3 100W LEDs! (I wish the pics would post more clearly! I’m a picture nerd!)

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    As far as the brake conundrum, it looks to me like International Scout brakes.

As an example;

https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store...BP-225-PR.html
    Oh that’s interesting? I just assumed they were from a later Jeep vehicle? Guess I’ll have to expand my search a bit, ha!

Mike, all Dana axles were marked with a Bill of Material and a serial number. They can be very, very difficult to find on a heavily rusted axle but, they are always there. Sometimes forensic techniques are needed to see them. They were stamped in by hand on the assembly line. I have used varying ways to uncover them. Most people give up too early. The numbers are always there and always very hard to see. A thorough cleaning and carefully polishing of the area where the numbers should be usually reveals the indentations. If you are successful in finding the numbers, I can tell you what parts were used to build the entire assembly, when it was built and for what customer.