Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: ***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

Dangit! The occasional curse of the sideways pic!

That windshield looks really good! Great find!

I do not need another project either, but still can't resist looking through marketplace for anything cheap and desirable. I'm a through and through Willys guy, but if I found a great deal on a first-generation International Scout 80, I'd have to find room at the rust ranch. One came up local here a couple months ago, but it was a typo at $800. It was back up the next day for $4,000, to which it was too far gone for that.

Man an old Scout is a find gm!

Nice parts source there Mike. You can always go back now that you know where some parts are.

I cannot beat the sideways pic phenomenon. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    That windshield looks really good! Great find!

I do not need another project either, but still can't resist looking through marketplace for anything cheap and desirable. I'm a through and through Willys guy, but if I found a great deal on a first-generation International Scout 80, I'd have to find room at the rust ranch. One came up local here a couple months ago, but it was a typo at $800. It was back up the next day for $4,000, to which it was too far gone for that.
    Yeah it’s in pretty good shape! Has some door/top brackets attached so that may come in handy later as I do have some door frames.
    I hear yah on the other projects. I am always looking even though I’ve enough already to get me through my golden years, ha! That said, I may or may not have purchased a ‘66 Land Rover 2A that I’ve been lusting after since I first saw it almost 30 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Man an old Scout is a find gm!

Nice parts source there Mike. You can always go back now that you know where some parts are.

I cannot beat the sideways pic phenomenon. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    Yeah it is definitely worth saving and quite tempting!

I made a little bit of progress over the last couple weekends and filled the 2A hole that someone had hacked into the side of poor Sweet Chee! Got the pioneer tools installed and I’m pretty happy with the result!

I dropped my original fuel tank off at the shop last week to get cleaned out and patched up (and probably lined) so that’s ready to go if I ever get this thing closer to moving under her own power!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work with that fuel filler. Looks great!

I always thought the old rovers were neat, you'll have to do a comparison. And see if American is better than British 4x4s.

That would be a great comparison for sure. The pioneer tools look good in their home.

It is coming back for sure Mike! Your work looks great. I would like to see that tank when it comes back. I bet it looks good.

I got the old original tank back from the radiator shop. They removed some broken sending unit screws for me and cut off the 2A fuel filler and patched the area. They also cleaned all the varnish and rust out of the tank and lined it with Red Cote. They also ended up coating the outside of the bottom of the tank. I told them to try to keep it below in the sump area if they could. I cleaned up the rest of the outside of the tank and hit it with some Ospho and Scotchbrite to combat the surface rust. I probably won’t paint the tank as I’ve had good luck with the Ospho surface staying rust free in the past. I know the “patina” look is not for everyone but I really enjoy seeing the layers of history in a vehicle and besides there are plenty of restored jeeps out there! This one will see farm duty!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also ordered a bunch of stuff the other day. Brake line and fuel line kits. Tank straps. I’d like to have it driving by the fall but we’ll see how it goes!