Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: ***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

I popped out to the shop to measure a couple things. The f-head starter is indeed 9 toothed but they are much pointier and the overall diameter of the gear is 1.14”. It rolls across the 124T flywheel nicely.

The new MB/2A 9 tooth starter gear has much flatter teeth resembling the original 10T pinion. It measures 1.42” diameter.

The original 10T 2A pinion measures 1.45”

One more question while I’ve got somebody! Does this head gasket install dry? It did not come with any instructions. I believe it to be a Fel-Pro kit, but I’m not positive? I’m reading different procedures on the Internet. I have some copper coat, ready to go, if need be?
    Attached Images Attached Images

If it is a Fel-Pro gasket, install it dry. If it is not a Fel-Pro head gasket, I would get one or a MAHLE. There are a lot of cheap Chinese and Malaysian gaskets floating around. Copper Coat and other sealants are usually used on metallic "shim style" head gaskets. Composite gaskets from good manufacturers are almost always coated and don't require any sealers.

This is a video of an old friend demonstrating a cheap Chinese head gasket. Bill passed a few years ago, but he had a great deal of experience in the automotive aftermarket. He spent a good deal of time in the Dana Customer Training Facility teaching automotive machine shop. He spent time at the various race tracks. At about three minutes in, he demonstrates the bend test. If you try this on a cheep gasket it will crack and or distort and be ruined. I tested a few L134's from different vendors. They were all unmarked and not stamped made in USA. They all failed miserably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNARNt5eqac
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-21-2023 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    If it is a Fel-Pro gasket, install it dry. If it is not a Fel-Pro head gasket, I would get one. There are a lot of cheap Chinese and Malaysian gaskets floating around.

This is a video of an old friend demonstrating a cheap Chinese head gasket. Bill passed a few years ago, but he had a great deal of experience in the automotive aftermarket. He spent a good deal of time in the Dana Customer Training Facility teaching automotive machine shop. He spent time at the various race tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNARNt5eqac
    Very interesting video! Thanks for that. Looks like I have a couple of tests to perform before I try to install this gasket!

I added more information in an edit to the last post. On the subject of Copper Coat and other sealers on the head gasket,you usually use that stuff on metallic gaskets. The "shim style" head gaskets. The composite gaskets are usually coated and sealers are not a good idea in some cases.

I added more information in an edit to the last post. On the subject of Copper Coat and other sealers on the head gasket,you usually use that stuff on metallic gaskets. The "shim style" head gaskets. The composite gaskets are usually coated and sealers are not a good idea in some cases.
    Thank you for the additional info/ clarification. It is much appreciated!

I just ordered a Fel-Pro gasket off Amazon. I hope it fits better than this one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yikes! Is that gasket marked anywhere with any kind of identification or, origin of manufacture? That gasket will not even work. The portion of the "fire ring" that is intruding into the cylinder will immediately burn away and fail.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-22-2023 at 06:21 AM.

Yikes! Is that gasket marked anywhere with any kind of identification or, origin of manufacture? That gasket will not even work. The portion of the "fire ring" that is intruding into the cylinder will immediately burn away and fail.
    Yeah it is not good! No markings a that I can find. It was part of a “good quality” full set that I bought. All the other gaskets seemed good as I installed them, but none are quite as critical as this one!

Mike P:

You are asking good questions and there are probably a lot of people watching in the background and learning from your experience.

Don't hesitate to ask.