Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: ***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

It just dawned on me that I made that comment about tires but I looked back and never posted the deal of the century?! I peruse Marketplace regularly and got this set of 4 brand new (mounted but never run) Firestone 6.00-16 NDTs for $250!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I will agree with you on that aspect. Definitely a deal of a lifetime.

I have a set of those on peeJ. I love them. A crowd pleaser at the shows and parade. They are a nice riding tire and quiet. Of course we are talking at the 45 MPH top speed, I cant hear anything and both hands are on the wheel.

Got my radiator back. Woohoo! (I told them not to paint it as I’d do it myself. I’m kind of particular…)

That looks really nice. Hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I had recored my radiator when we restored the '48- but $$$ and time seemed more important at the instant.

Nice! They sure had a nice size radiator in them.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    That looks really nice. Hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I had recored my radiator when we restored the '48- but $$$ and time seemed more important at the instant.
    Yes I’m glad I just bit the bullet. You can’t take it with you right, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Nice! They sure had a nice size radiator in them.
    I agree! Seems like it should keep that little banger cool! I tested and put the original 160 degree thermostat back in it after reading the discussions on the new ones. Hopefully I can run it up to temp this weekend and get those new rings seated!

I am sure you will have no trouble keeping it cool. Load those rings for about 20 minutes and your ready for business!

Vintage vs. Modern Thermostats

BMorgil and I did a science project a couple of years ago looking at vintage vs. modern thermostats. The project involved the wife’s oven thermometer, cook pans and stove top.

“Are you done making a mess in my kitchen?”; was said more than once.

In summary, vintage thermostats and modern ‘full flow’ thermostats are fully open at their rated temperature; many modern ones are just starting to open up at that point.

What that translates to in practice – at least on the ’48 – was that there would be a significant temperature overshoot at warm-up until the thermostat got fully open. I don’t like transient overshoots, I like stability. You were never sure if the ‘stat had stuck or it was just the normal overshoot. Mine did stick one day, and the truck puked about half the coolant all over the engine bay. I still find residue from that until this day.

The Milodon Full Flow thermostats just bring the temperature smoothly to 160 and stay there – no stress and no worry on the operator and probably less stress on the cast iron engine parts. Every time that temperature needle swings up to 160 and just settles there, I say “Thank you Bob”.

That whole "thing" started with your coffee cup holding open my hood in the parade Larry! I think we found out three things for sure.

The vintage thermostats are old and failed your "Kitchin' Test".
    The modern pellet style thermostats were unpredictable in when and how far they opened.
    The Milodon's are predictable, accurate, expensive and hard to come by.

Did we win that battle?