Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: ***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

That is a great place for it Mike. I think that vacuum advance was used on Jeepsters and Wagons. On those it came from a tap on the base of the carburetor. There isn't an original location for a MB. It did not have a vacuum advance.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...ty-Truck-M38A1
    Last edited by bmorgil; 04-02-2023 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    That is a great place for it Mike. I think that vacuum advance was used on Jeepsters and Wagons. On those it came from a tap on the base of the carburetor. There isn't an original location for a MB. It did not have a vacuum advance.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...ty-Truck-M38A1
    Ok cool. Thanks bmorgil. Affirmative on the MB. I have a dizzy that came with the ‘46 parts motor that is the same as military but it’s a little worn out and the advance weights are sticking. I will probably eventually use it if I can get it cleaned up but in the meantime this one seems to operate (on the bench at least?) I guess I probably don't need to worry too much about the advance just to see if it runs but figured I may as well get it hooked up in case this motor stays in Sweet Chee for a while!

I’ve been cleaning up this generator. I can’t remember which pile of parts it came with?! There is no tag so I’m not sure if it’s 6 or 12V. Are the casting numbers any clue???

Mike,

The GDZ prefix designates a six volt Autolite generator, where a 12 volt would be a GJP or a GJC. Now as far as the number 87A or 88 is a different story. A quick Mrs. Google search lead me to a Desoto link to a GDZ 88, but it was just mentioned, and not confirmed. From first look, the generator you have lines up, and has the proper pulley for a Willys application.

Six or Twelve Volt?

"There is no tag so I’m not sure if it’s 6 or 12V"

I poked around the internet a bit too. There is a lot of confusing information out there, but after I sorted through a lot of different posts, this seems to be the most common thread:

The GDZ designations indicate that the generator is an AutoLite 6-volt generator

GDZ-87 (or GDZ-87A) is a casting number for the commutator end of the generator (bronze bearing)

GDZ-88 is the casting number for the drive end of the generator (ball bearing; Fafnir 203PP)

The general consensus of the internet groups is that your generator is likely an AutoLite GDZ-4817-A. That generator was very widely used on many of the civilian Jeeps through the 6-volt era. It would have been original on a CJ-2A. I think this is consistent with a lot of other things we have seen around your Jeep. It is what is called a Type A generator, the field is grounded to put it at full output.

The CJ-2A Service Manual will tell you all you need to know about taking it apart and cleaning it up. If it needs commutator work, you will have to find an auto electric shop with either a real old guy or a young techno nerd to work on it.

You might want poke around this link:

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/g...opic43663.html

Good Luck - let us know what you find.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 04-06-2023 at 07:38 AM.

Confirmed on the GDZ-4817-A LarrBeard,

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...-Parts-Catalog

page 30 and 31.

You guys rock!!! Thanks for all the help thus far!
    Last edited by Mike P; 04-06-2023 at 10:08 AM.

"Thanks for all the help thus far"

You are very welcome...

Still working on the little motor. I spent last weekend cobbling together a little run/storage stand. I got a new battery today and had to run out and see if the new fangled starter would work. Seems good so maybe I’ll have a chance to finish up some wiring and light it off this weekend??!

https://youtube.com/shorts/7xG2TS6CZ6s?feature=share

Very cool setup Mike!

I love the YouTube link. A lot of members are trying to figure out how to upload video's. It looks like you have found a great way.