Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: ***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

Dr. Dana has the answers for sure!

The nylon abrasive brushes from Horrible Freight that I brag on constantly will clean up the surface of the axle tube without disturbing the metal displaced by the stamping of the BOM and serial numbers.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 10-17-2023 at 12:15 AM.

With a shop that nostalgic - you need a Bull of the Woods calendar...

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    The nylon abrasive brushes from Horrible Freight that I brag on constantly will clean up the surface of the axle tube without disturbing the metal displaced by the stamping of the BOM and serial numbers.
    Awesome suggestion gm! I have not tried those. I think they would be perfect. As you search for the numbers, keep in mind they are about an 1/8" high.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Mike, all Dana axles were marked with a Bill of Material and a serial number. They can be very, very difficult to find on a heavily rusted axle but, they are always there. Sometimes forensic techniques are needed to see them. They were stamped in by hand on the assembly line. I have used varying ways to uncover them. Most people give up too early. The numbers are always there and always very hard to see. A thorough cleaning and carefully polishing of the area where the numbers should be usually reveals the indentations. If you are successful in finding the numbers, I can tell you what parts were used to build the entire assembly, when it was built and for what customer.
    Wow! Great info for sure! I will do some digging. I am certain at least my front axle is war time given the fact that it has the bell crank attached. The rear looks original to the Jeep as well as near as I can tell so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Dr. Dana has the answers for sure!

I’ll look into those. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    With a shop that nostalgic - you need a Bull of the Woods calendar...
    I had to look up what that was and yes I think you’re right!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Awesome suggestion gm! I have not tried those. I think they would be perfect. As you search for the numbers, keep in mind they are about an 1/8" high.
    Got it. Thanks!

Forgot the pic!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Still has the original brake line holding straps on it! An old one for sure. I bet that axle has been bolted in since 1944.

Not a lot happening. Getting a few parts here and there. Sweet Chee made the KW catalog though so that’s pretty cool!

Nice! Great shot in the catalog. You gotta love that!

Good deal on the photo in the catalog. I just put in for my copy, so I'll see it and all the new stuff soon.

Thanks guys! The new catalog is a good read!

I picked up another (2A) windshield yesterday just ‘cause that stuff doesn’t really show up around here all that often! It’s in pretty decent shape and has all the pesky brackets I struggled with earlier in the thread, ha!

Then the seller took me to see this his boss had for sale a few miles away. Lots of good parts and some not so good. I’d love to save them all but I resisted the temptation (so far anyway…