Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: ***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    This is a common problem with the windshield to cowl latch alignment. The arms of the windshield tend to get bent or flex when the windshield is stored flat on the hood. This also happens if the windshield is stored off of the vehicle as well. The tubing that makes up the arms will deform if dropped or banged around when moving, or even if the windshield is stored on the mount arms in the corner of a storage shed. Our '46 didn't have a windshield frame when purchased back in the 80s, but through a series of horse trades, one was acquired. It took a bit of gentle heating in the radius of the arms to bring it back into alignment, to which after a few trailer rides, it's due to be tweaked again, because the latches are not quite in line again. If you do not want to apply heat to the windshield arms, you could apply tension with a ratchet strap and pull the windshield into alignment. In your case, the side-to-side alignment isn't far off at all. The new seal isn't quite as tall as the old dried out rubber seal that you are replacing, but it is close. The key thing would be to check the angle of the lay back of the windshield. I don't have the degrees of the angle that it should be, but over time it might have laid back lessening the angle that the windshield stands up. To fix that problem, again you can apply pressure forward with ratchet straps to pull the top of the windshield forward to roll the bottom forward to make the needed gap for your latch to work effectively. Just for a bit of useless knowledge, the later CJ3As and the remainder of the flat fenders went to a more durable square tubing arm configuration that hold up better to the life of a functioning Jeep. With that being said, the last picture is of an M38 with the square tube mount, but with poor storage of the previous owner, the windshield is severely out of square.
    Thanks for taking the time to write all that out and illustrate the problem/fixes! I gotta tell you, I was hoping my latches were just bad, ha! Seems like an easier fix! Oh well, she is 70+ years old with mismatched parts…

Mike I had the same problem with mine until I got pissed and threw the rubber seal in the trash and bought a 1.5” thick x 2” wide piece of foam (with tape on one side) weatherproof and put the windshield frame down on it and beat the latches closed and that’s where it’s at to this day
    Last edited by TJones; 02-20-2023 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    Mike I had the same problem with mine until I got pissed and threw the rubber seal in the trash and bought a 1.5” thick x 2” wide piece of foam (with tape on one side) weatherproof and put the windshield frame down on it and beat the latches closed and that’s where it’s at to this day
    Haha! I like your style!

Here is another pic that I forgot to attach before. I almost think part of my problem is that the latches are drilled incorrectly?

If I line up the top hole instead and weld up then re-drill the lower holes the latch would be a bit more horizontal and maybe that would solve my issue (a little anyway?)

Worth a shot I guess?!

Unless of course someone has some originals they want to part with?!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That would be the other option to weld up the holes and line up the top one. With that picture, the tale is told that the aftermarket latch isn't quite up to speck.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    That would be the other option to weld up the holes and line up the top one. With that picture, the tale is told that the aftermarket latch isn't quite up to speck.
    Yes. That is what I get for buying the $25 set rather than the $100 set I guess!

Was the package labeled? I am curious who manufactured it.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Quote Originally Posted by 51 CJ3 View Post
    Was the package labeled? I am curious who manufactured it.
    That’s a good question. I’ll have to look but I don’t remember there being a manufactures label on them. Here is a link to the eBay item however. You get what you pay for I guess?!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25497882775...mis&media=COPY

The eBay listing showed:

Shipping:
    FREE Standard Shipping from outside US | See detailsfor shipping
    International shipment of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.
    Located in: DELHI, DELHI, India

I would suspect it was of Indian manufacture - at least it wasn't China.

Here’s a quick update to show I haven’t been slacking! I’m still cleaning, blasting, priming, painting, and even some assembling.

Also got this NOS taillight still sealed (well was anyway) in its cosmoline box! Fits like it was made for it…rimshot!