Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: ***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

Ah the cosmoline. You are making great process.

Love that Taillight! Nice find there. It is coming along nicely. The cleaning is tough work but, it can be very gratifying on reassembly.

As usual thanks for the encouragement!

So, I bought what was touted as an original latch off eBay last week and lo and behold it lines up perfectly….mystery solved! That’s what I get for trying to be thrifty I guess. Now to find another (reasonably priced) or modify one of the janky ones…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike P; 03-15-2023 at 08:10 AM.

Also got the engine primed over the weekend and first coat of paint on it last night. Keep pushin’!

*edit* woohoo! Pic orientation on point! (I remembered to take some pics in landscape mode this time!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Still picking away at the little banger. I got some more parts in the mail this week. I have an original starter that came with the ‘46 motor I bought. It spins but needs some work/ brushes, etc. and my local rebuilder is no longer in business so I bought a “USA” rebuilt one off eBay that is suppose to be a good fit though it has a 9 tooth bendix rather than the 10 tooth. And from what I’m reading on the webernets the 9 is for the later 124 tooth flywheel rather than the earlier 97 which is fine as I have one decent one of each. However, comparing the gear mesh the 9 doesn’t jive with the 124 at all and actually fits the 97 pretty well? Also, it extends out about a 1/4” less than the original. What gives???

I hope I haven’t inadvertently offended anyone with all my questions?!

No way the questions are offending anyone. We need them to fill the information barrel!

The 9 tooth starter is for the 124 tooth flywheel originally, just as you found. This could get a bit tricky. The diameter of the pinion gear is the key. There are some 9 tooth large diameter pinon gears that will mesh with the 97 tooth flywheel. The flywheel "Bell Housing" on the 97 tooth flywheel motor has a bushing in it to support the end of the pinion shaft that protrudes. The early setup was for the "Foot Starter". Measure the outside diameter of the gear from the original starter and compare it to your replacement rather than the tooth count.

This was an excellent question. I am sure you are not the first to scratch your head on this. The cataloging all seems to indicate the tooth count is the key. That's not quite true.

It’s just a little slower in here on the weekends. I would also like to see the answers to your questions. I replaced a starter with one from a parts store before I ever heard there was a possible conflict with the number of teeth.

Edit: looks like I typed too slow or didn’t check the forums early enough this morning!
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Every now and then a post slips by and doesn't show up till later or, not at all. I have seen posts that didn't get responded to, that never appeared in the new postings. It's always best to bump the thread that's for sure! If you don't get a response, check and make sure you are getting views. And as Jeff said, everybody might be sleeping in!

Right on! Ok thanks guys.

I had not heard about the bendix gear size difference but I can see where that would be an issue. This 9 tooth seems to be the same size as the 10 visually. I meant to compare the later starter that I pulled off of the F head that is currently in the MB. I grabbed it thinking I would use it not realizing the later ones have the nose cone as mentioned. I have an MB bellhousing that I will be using that as you said has the support in the bell itself.

I’ve added a couple pics of the differences. I messaged the eBay seller with those pics as well but haven’t heard anything back yet!

Both those pics show the bendix fully extended and as you can see the new one does not extend out quite as far.
    Last edited by Mike P; 03-20-2023 at 05:12 PM.