Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: ***My 1944 GPW/1945 MB (Sympathetic) Restoration!***

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Mike P:

You are asking good questions and there are probably a lot of people watching in the background and learning from your experience.

Don't hesitate to ask.
    Thank you!

I am one of those people.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Quote Originally Posted by 51 CJ3 View Post
    I am one of those people.
    Thanks for checking in!

So, I got my new Fel-Pro head gasket. The fit is soooooo much better!

It did not come with instructions but I’m assuming I should copper coat the steel side yes????
    Last edited by Mike P; 03-25-2023 at 10:33 AM.

Ooops! Forgot the pics…
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, with a Fel-Pro gasket it should be installed on a very clean surface, dry. A Fel-Pro will always be marked If it is critical for installation on direction and location. On yours I don't think it is marked "Top" or "Front". So the metallic side can go up or down, clean and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Mike, with a Fel-Pro gasket it should be installed on a very clean surface, dry. A Fel-Pro will always be marked If it is critical for installation on direction and location. On yours I don't think it is marked "Top" or "Front". So the metallic side can go up or down, clean and dry.
    This one is marked “this side up” on the fiber side and the other side is steel. It is not the blue type which is the more modern type I’m assuming???

If it is marked "This Side Up" then definitely install it that way. Fel-Pro's are always marked if it is critical to installation. The "Blue" is one of the colors they use. The grey composite is also used quite a bit.

If it is marked "This Side Up" then definitely install it that way. Fel-Pro's are always marked if it is critical to installation. The "Blue" is one of the colors they use. The grey composite is also used quite a bit.
    Oh I gotcha. I was confused. I did some searching on the Fel pro site and found the blue colored gaskets which are silicone I guess?

Anyway, so you still vote dry on the steel side?? I keep finding conflicting information all over the damn web, ha ha!

Yup for sure Mike on a Genuine Fel-Pro they go on dry no sealers or they would indicate it.

You are sure right, there are a ton of "ideas" on how to install gaskets of various types on the internet. The "ideas" came from old guy's like me who during the course of our lives heard and were told to do many different things to the many types of gaskets, that were evolving. Things have changed dramatically and the old ideas only apply to the old gasket they were intended for. Nowadays I think you will find most premium gaskets are installed with nothing on them. Sealers on head gaskets are intended for metal shim style solid copper or steel gaskets (or maybe an internet "hack" to make a cheap gasket work for 15 minutes).

Yup for sure Mike on a Genuine Fel-Pro they go on dry no sealers or they would indicate it.

You are sure right, there are a ton of "ideas" on how to install gaskets of various types on the internet. The "ideas" came from old guy's like me who during the course of our lives heard and were told to do many different things to the many types of gaskets, that were evolving. Things have changed dramatically and the old ideas only apply to the old gasket they were intended for. Nowadays I think you will find most premium gaskets are installed with nothing on them. Sealers on head gaskets are intended for metal shim style solid copper or steel gaskets (or maybe an internet "hack" to make a cheap gasket work for 15 minutes).
    Awesome. Thanks for taking the time! I’m off to install the head. Wish me luck!