Thread: My 1st vehicle.

My 1st vehicle.

Hello,
    I have recently puchased my first car. It is a 1956 CJ5. It's still factory drivetrain. F-134 Hurricane, t90 3 speed, dana 18 tcase, d25 front, d44 rear axle. Currently there are no brakes at all. It dosen't even have drums on the front. The electircal system is a mess. Also dosen't have a gas tank the previous owner ziptied a 1 gal. lawnmower tank to the e brake cable. But aside from that it starts and drives extremely well. The body is in very rough shape. There is only one passenger side body mount that's actually strong. I also got a factory hardtop and doors from a 1964 model. The top has a small crack in the fiberglass rain gutter but is in good shape. The passenger door is complete, drivers is missing glass and inner door panel, both have some rust on the bottom. I've already pulled out all the wiring except for ignition. It would start with the key off and the one light that worked randomly turned on and sparks came from under the dash. It was alredy 12v (not sure if factory or conversion). I have a universal fuse block and wiring harness that I will install. I mounted a Warn M8000 that my Dad had from another jeep in the past. The windsheild glass is gone and frame is rusty so I got a used complete one. It is the 69-75 style with the wipers on the bottom. At first the oil was turning white and foaming. But it had sat for almost a year without being started. And it also didn't smoke and coolant stayed clean and the level never changed like it would with a blown head gasket. So I was told just to run it for a long time to heat it up and burn out moisture. So i changed the oil and filter then drove around the yard over 2 hours and now the oil is staying clean. Mission succesful!
    My plans for it is to not restore it just get everything mechanically reliable and safe. Patch the rust so the body is structually sound and hopefully have it roadworthy for when I get my drivers license in a couple years. But mostly just have fun and learn about old cars. I am excited to work on this Jeep and share my progress here. I also have a YouTube channel @jacobnovosel Here's a link to one of the videos of the Jeep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUFYaISC_ps&t=22s
    I am completely new to vintage Jeeps but am willing to learn, so any insight you might have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jacob.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just found this post from 56willys. It was listed as "Moderated" for some strange reason. Well here it is, UN-moderated! How is that Jeep doing 56willys?

Crazy things happen on this Forum sometimes.....

I wrote that over a month ago and was my first time posting. After a couple weeks it wasnt on so i thought I did something wrong having not quite figured put the forum yet. So I reposted on another thread.

The jeep is coming along well, just got new tires. And just put on a complete new tie rod and will align it tomorrow.

I am not quite sure what happens but, I have run into this a few times. I will be looking through the posts and suddenly I run across one that has no responses. Usually when I look further it is "stuck" for one reason or another. I don't know what triggers the "Moderated" code.

Anyway I am glad we are talkin' now! Show us lots of pictures of course 56willys! We look forward to your progress.

Bob

Welcome to the Forum Young Man.

You commented "...for when I get my drivers license in a couple years. ..". That makes you somewhere about 15-years old, if my math still works. It is unusual for a young man (or even young lady) to take such an interest in an old vehicle like your CJ5. Most of us wish our kids or grand kids had such an interest.

Feel free to ask any questions you have, post any comments that come to mind and send pictures as the project moves along.

Good Luck!

OK Guys, we need to sign this guy up.

He understands how to do that You Tube stuff - something we need an expert in. And, he seems to be doing all of the right stuff - tracing wires, marking them ... all the things that Bubba and Junior don't worry about.

And Jacob - that's not a "Deathtrap Jeep" even if your mother thinks it is. When you get to the place that it stops reliably, steers in a predictable straight line and doesn't leak gas, it will be about as safe as any vehicle on the road with a 16 or 17 year old driving it.

A comment; you are going to need all new wires. I had the same issue with the '48 truck. I thought I would build my own harness, but when I looked at the price of wire, terminals and the time it would take I decided to buy a replacement harness from KWAS. Other than time and money, the other advantage is that all of the wires are there, in the right place, and that prompts you on how to hook them back up (hmmm, there has to be a connection around here somewhere...).

And, the acorns in the squirrel cage blower for the heater fan are typical of just about every barn or woods Jeep. GMWillys had a muffler full of acorns on The Heep and my bell housing was packed full of hay and straw where the mice had moved in. Dern critters.....

I remember seeing his first thread and even commented about the hardtop. Not sure what happened, but I hope he comes back and keeps us updated on his progress.

Hello all, thank you so much for the kind comments. I do have the other thread in introduce yourself. That I started after this one was stuck moderated. I've updated that more so ill continue to post on there.

" That makes you somewhere about 15-years old, if my math still works."
    Yes that's correct. It is rare for kids my age to like old vehicles. Which is sad because there's so much knowledge and awesome people you encounter through old cars. Plus theres nothing like the feel of driving old vehicles. l will definitely keep you up to date on the willys, probably on the other thread.