Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CJ3A Starting Problem - Runs fine once started

Welcome CChris!

Just to cover all bases, Did you verify the firing order and timing? The Solex carb is a notorious pain to dial in to where it works throughout the spectrum of operation, and are often dumped for a refurbished Carter.

Unless I misunderstood (which I often do), he did get it to start and run with one wire off. It is getting fuel. I think CC is saying he gets no spark unless he pulls off a spark plug wire. Is that correct CC? Just to clarify, it doesn't try to start unless you pull off one wire? Is it backfiring or sputtering and trying to start with all the wires on? How does it sound running with one wire off? I was under the impression there was no spark with all the wires hooked up.

Once we see if he can get spark to start, lets see if it will try to run and idle. We can address that Solex if it needs it. As we know that Solex is a notorious PIA!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-14-2023 at 09:11 AM.

If the timing checks out, then it will likely be a fuel issue. Now that is using farmer logic, but that doesn't explain the pulling of the spark plug wire and grounding, then it starts just fine. That's why I was asking if the timing was verified. A trip down memory lane with Pelago's Magoo. He had a devil of a time getting the timing set to where it started easily after his rebuild. His issue was that the military waterproof distributor was a tooth or two off after fighting the oil pump engagement. Solex carbs have the reputation at being either good at the top end, or at the bottom end, but not with both at the same setting. If the idle circuit is running too fat, then the engine will be hard to start due to being over fueled. Since the engine runs fine with good power and acceleration after starting, then the bottom end will most likely need the attention for descent starting.

CC, as an experiment, try holding the throttle pedal to the floor with no choke when cranking with all four plug wires on to see if this helps the situation. If it does then the idle circuit is allowing too much fuel to enter the intake. Holding the pedal to the floor counteracts the imbalance of the fuel to air ratio. Again this is a thought of possibility with a sprinkle of opinion, so we'll do our best to help figure this conundrum out.

After a lengthy delay to help with Spring cleanup around the yard, I'm now back into the jeep. After examining several of your suggestions I've been able to get the jeep to start reliably after replacing the plugs which appeared black, fuzzy and fouled.

Thanks to each of you for your feedback and suggestions...they were invaluable during the diagnosis.

Black, fuzzy and fouled

"...which appeared black, fuzzy and fouled...."

Keep an eye on them. If they get that way again, it will need a bit deeper look.