Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - Is it a 42, 46, or 53?!?!

I believe a military frame will have a machine gun mount under the bed.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Slim the machine gun mount will be right above the rear wheels, it's a heavy piece of channel iron mounted to the frame on top top side.

No machine gun mount plate on crossmember (red X on this diagram).
    no plate.jpg
    However, there is a knob on top of the crossmember at that spot, and rewelded patch on the bed. This might be completely unrelated.
    PXL_20230312_204726461.jpg
    What do you think? I appreciate all the input, this is getting fun.

Welcome Slimjim,

It looks like you have a conglomeration of Jeeps. With that being said, that isn't a bad thing at all. To put things into perspective, the following link is a history lesson on what happened through the ordnance remanufacturing process;

http://www.ewillys.com/category/ordn...anufactureing/

In short, the process of the ordnance remanufacture is to strip the Jeeps down to their sub assembly parts, inspect, then recondition as needed. After all of that, the parts are placed in a bin of like parts, then the parts are pulled to rebuild the next chassis in line. It is not uncommon to have a GPW engine with a Willys frame and a GPW body. Basically, the commonality of the part fitment lends itself to throwing the assorted parts into a big bag, then the parts are shaken up then grab the next part at random. Yours appears to be a GPW frame and engine, then the body tub is a newer CJ3A or so, reproduction tub, or a very clean original. The photo enclosed is of a M38A1 frame, but the machine gun mount is intact. The front axle looks like it might be Civilian. The determining factor is that the WWII military Jeeps, (MB/GPW) had the drag link run through a mount on the front axle rather than the Civilian Jeeps having the draglink mount to the frame cross member. The link below shows the GPW axle.

https://fordgpw.wordpress.com/2018/0...d-brake-lines/

As far as the heater, I couldn't find anything on it either. More than likely, the heater came out of a truck and was installed in the Jeep. If I do find anything, I will report back with the findings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 03-14-2023 at 12:44 AM.

I knew gm would jump in an enlighten us all on what was going on with your project!!!
    Like Larrbeard has always said “don’t ever say never”
    Last edited by TJones; 03-14-2023 at 05:54 AM.

Good catch on the steering mount gm, I missed that. The front axle is an early model 25. The cover is the GPW heavy cast style with the vent in the cover. It is either a very early 25 or a 25 with a GPW cover. The dashboard has the ignition switch on the passenger side. That could be a repro 3A tub or 2A tub since many MD Juan repo tubs have the 2A ignition holes on the 3A tubs. The tub looks like it is missing the top mounts. The repro tubs do not have them installed. Some more pictures slimjim, keep us up to date on your project!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-14-2023 at 06:55 AM.

It dawned on me this morning riding home. The heater is out of a Kaiser Frazier car, or possibly a dealer installed item that was installed through time. One may never know for sure.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 03-15-2023 at 02:44 AM.

Wow if that is out of a Kaiser-Frazer, it is a very rare part indeed. Neat story on that car. Very rare no doubt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser-Frazer

It could be in the realm of possibility that the heater could have been on a dealers shelf after Kaiser bought Willys. There isn't much Intel out there that I've found to where Kaiser Frazier dealers bringing on Willys, but I would think that they would have since Kaiser mainly wanted the Jeep brand.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    It dawned on me this morning riding home. The heater is out of a Kaiser Frazier car, or possibly a dealer installed item that was installed through time. One may never know for sure.
    Bingo, that is it. The KF was never the automotive logo, but a Frazer Farm Equipment dealer could have used that KF. Its the same font as in this dealer advertisement.

Screenshot 2023-03-16 181507.jpg