Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - Is it a 42, 46, or 53?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Welcome Slimjim,

It looks like you have a conglomeration of Jeeps. With that being said, that isn't a bad thing at all. To put things into perspective, the following link is a history lesson on what happened through the ordnance remanufacturing process;

http://www.ewillys.com/category/ordn...anufactureing/

In short, the process of the ordnance remanufacture is to strip the Jeeps down to their sub assembly parts, inspect, then recondition as needed. After all of that, the parts are placed in a bin of like parts, then the parts are pulled to rebuild the next chassis in line. It is not uncommon to have a GPW engine with a Willys frame and a GPW body. Basically, the commonality of the part fitment lends itself to throwing the assorted parts into a big bag, then the parts are shaken up then grab the next part at random. Yours appears to be a GPW frame and engine, then the body tub is a newer CJ3A or so, reproduction tub, or a very clean original. The photo enclosed is of a M38A1 frame, but the machine gun mount is intact. The front axle looks like it might be Civilian. The determining factor is that the WWII military Jeeps, (MB/GPW) had the drag link run through a mount on the front axle rather than the Civilian Jeeps having the draglink mount to the frame cross member. The link below shows the GPW axle.

https://fordgpw.wordpress.com/2018/0...d-brake-lines/

As far as the heater, I couldn't find anything on it either. More than likely, the heater came out of a truck and was installed in the Jeep. If I do find anything, I will report back with the findings.
    Thank you GMWillys & bmorgil & TJones for all your help!!!! Especially on the history of military rebuilds, that is fascinating.

My take away is I have a:
    GPW: motor
    CJ2/3: Frame, steering, axels, and likely drivetrain
    Aftermarket Driverside steering tie rod and reproduction Tub (maybe)

That sound right? I'm definitely going to take the time to remove, clean, and measure any parts before I place an order for a replacement. Thanks again for all your help!!!!

PXL_20230316_214508069.jpg
    PXL_20230316_212456222.jpg

The left front motor mount on a CJ3A is different than the same mount on the CJ2A frame. Also the CJ2A frame should have a serial number tag or evidence of one on the frame in front of the left tire. Sometimes they get covered up if there was a snowplow, winch or the like installed. Mine has a reinforcement welded over that area. I assume it is there to support the PTO winch on it.

No telling how many combinations there are out there. My 1951 CJ3A has the CJ3A frame and windshield, 1946 CJ2A tub and an M38 hood. I have a reproduction tub for it but haven’t installed it.

I forgot about the CJ2A ACM(?) numbers on the left front gusset at the firewall and on the tailgate.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 03-16-2023 at 06:20 PM.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Yes, ok the motor mounts are evenly aligned so the frame is very likely a CJ2A.

Screenshot 2023-03-16 205235.jpg

My passenger side glove box under the seat also matches a CJ2A. https://cj3a.info/cj3a/cj2acj3a.html

I think one more way to differentiate an original tub from a reproduction may be the front wall of the toolbox. There should be a script “jeep” there. It is not 100% since toolboxes get replaced. The one in my CJ3A has been replaced. I haven’t looked into how different they are but my guess someone installed a CJ3A toolbox in the CJ2A tub. It doesn’t look like it fits correctly. It may just be a “Bubba” install.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

It never ceases to amaze me at the information this group turns up. It ranges from "trivia" like a KF trademark to solid "no shxt" tech data that just seems to be unavailable elsewhere.

A picture of the toolbox front:
    EADD19DD-9A6D-453F-95B2-9D6C7E126AD7.jpg

I find the glovebox curious. I have 3 tubs to look at. A 46 and 47 CJ2A and a CJ3A Repli-tub. None have provisions for a glovebox. The Repli-tub isn’t overly accurate but the parts manual I have doesn’t list parts for one either. I think someone must have added it to yours or your replacement tub came from somewhere other than MD Juan.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 03-17-2023 at 03:22 PM.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

In this photo you can kind of make out a CJ2A tub number on the gusset next to the steering tube. It is my understanding they should not be on any other model. The CJ2A tailgate will have its own number on one end.

987720FE-49EE-4BE3-87A2-A87234B3901F.jpg

While looking at this stuff, I have come to believe the tailgate on my frankenjeep is from an M38. There is a layer of OD green under the blue paint. It is a nice match to the hood.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I just found a website that says the M38 had a glovebox.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

The tool box/glove box under the passenger seat came about with the CJ2A, and continued on through the M38A1 and into the early CJ5s until 1971. The tool boxes were actually universal to all of the Jeeps, meaning that you can affix one from a 2A to a M38A1 and it will fit perfectly. The Jeep script was on all Civilian Jeeps, but not the military models. The military didn't want to advertise name plates on their vehicles. (Ford somehow got around this on the GPWs with a Ford script on the left rear of the tub). Replacement bodies will not be stamped Willys or Jeep unless they are licensed through Mopar/Chrysler/Fiat. You can get an MD Juan body with the stamps, but because of the license, it costs more by around $800.00. Enclosed are a couple of photos of an M38A1 tool box, and a replacement military front panel without the Jeep stamping.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 03-18-2023 at 02:26 AM.

Yes, I found both. Its hard to see through the rhino lining, but I can make out that same logo.
    Screenshot 2023-03-18 145855.jpg

I found a 5 digit tub number near the steering tube. It is within the +/- 1500 of my S/N so that tracks.
    PXL_20230318_184445381_exported_26218.jpg

So my frame, original tub, and Serial Number Data Patents Plate all match up as a CJ2A. The CJ3A windshield is a stand alone change.
    Last edited by slimjim_buffalo; 03-18-2023 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added link to s/n chart