Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

I got all new tie rods. And did an alignment. Now both wheels are straight. And before with the new tires and old tie rod, even just slow in my yard you could see the tires wobbling back and forth. Now its solid. I even finished up wiring. All the lights work and everything is new. I got a new gasket and put the oil pan back on. Still have to set valve lash and then hopefully the knocking will go away. After it gets run some more.

Moving along nicely! Let us know if that knock comes back.

Good deal. Worn steering will drive you weary in a hurry. Glad you have it sorted out.

Update on the knocking

So over the last few weeks i reassembled the oil pan after confiriming the bearings/ wrist pins are good. I then set valve lash and finised putting covers back on. I got fresh oil and rebuilt the distributor. Then put on new plugs and wires. And retorqued head bolts(3 were probably 5-10 lbs lose). With the plugs out i turned it over with the starter to try to blow carbon chunks out. And also prime oil pump. It was then time to fire it up. Started easily and sounded good so I took it out and cruised 35-40 mph for over 4 miles. And a few more miles the other day. The entire time never knocked or had any weird noises and just purred along perfectly. After getting back from the 4 miles I took of the rubber hose on the valve cover off and there was no steam (normally it would smoke for a minute after shutting it off). Retorquing the head bolts probably helped. The oil is still nice and clean and didnt even leak. Was definitly running smoother with the new ignition system.
    It's a happy Jeep.

That's about as good of a situation as you could ask for! Interesting the head stud nuts were that loose.

Yes. I'm happy the motor isn't seriously hurt. And hopefully I can get a long time out of it without problems. I thought it was weird that some bolts were lose too. The manual you gave me the link for said 60_70 ft lbs. I did 65 and all the other bolts clicked almost immediately. Who knows when the last time they were torqued.

Glad to hear that your engine is running smooth. That will be a load of your mind for sure.

Well this ones RUSTY!! I bought another Jeep.

Hello all, It's been a long time since an update. Because ive been busy going broke buying jeep parts. So here's a big update.
    The '56 is running great and i've been slowly putting small parts on it. The only thing is the rear leaf spring shackles almost fell off. The C shackle pulled through the mount on the frame. So i need to get parts to fix that. And in the last week I bought a used Warn overdrive unit. (well actually 1 1/2 units) So that will be fun to try out, and hopefully get a little higher cruising mph. Also bought some body panels so I can get some rust turned into solid steel. Maybe soon i'll have floors to put my feet on. Then I bought another CJ5 from the local junkyard. (pics attached). Its kinda sad, sat way to long without being taken care of. The frame behind the trans. is non-existent. And forward is swiss cheese. All i got of the body is the cowl, hood, and dash. It does have axles. And the motor, trans, & t-case is 100% complete. I pulled the plugs and put some penetrating oil in the cylinders, so maybe it will turn over. So far it's stuck. The hood is surprisingly rust free but dented really bad. I'm planning on parting it out and selling parts. Probably keep the engine and maybe trans. to rebuild if it doesn't need to much. Will definetely try rebuilding the carb to learn how to. so i can rebuild the one on the 56. The front axle is marked 27-a. Would it be worth rebuilding to upgrade the D 25 in my other jeep? Would there be any improvement? The serial number is 8305 165646 I looked at the KW catalog and thought maybe 1959? I could be wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dr. Dana can chime in on facts on the Dana 27 vs the Dana 25. I do know that the bearings are bigger on the Dana 25, but am not well versed on the pros and cons of the two.

I like that you saved a forgotten CJ5 from the scrap heap. If I had the space, then I would have the entire back forty' full of parts and salvage pieces. You'll be surprised on no matter how big a Heep you find, the amount of good parts you'll find. The photos enclosed are of two of the three M38A1 carcasses that I harvested parts for a project. You'll like the overdrive as long as your expectations aren't too high. It will help with the overall speed by a few miles per hour depending on tire size, but any little bit helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would stick with the 27. The 25 was phased out for the 27 which then became the 30. All models were improved as they were upgraded to later models.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...of-the-Dana-27