Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

Today I decided that the transmission tunnel is just too far gone to reuse
    Yes I could patch around it but that would probably require more work then it's worth. So I started making some panels to go in place. Far from being done but it's a solid start. I don't have a break or any type of fabrication tools. I just clamped the steel between 2 pieces of angle iron in a vise and hammered, test fit, hammered again until it fit.

Thanks GM. You'll like the catalog. It's a lot bigger and lots more stuff than last years. Definitely a nice catalog!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 56willys; 02-08-2024 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Added pictures

Nice catalog pics 56'!

The tunnel is looking great. It looks like your DIY brake is getting the job done.

The vise and angle iron just goes to prove that you don't need a bunch of fancy tools to get the job done. Well done on the transmission tunnel, it will turn out great!

Maybe someday I'll get a break, but until then it's not in the budget and the angle iron technique is working fine! I got the two pieces for the tunnel welded together. So hopefully I can install it soon.

I also just picked up some solder for my radiator today. Thanks for the help guys!

One of the guys on day shift is a wheeler and dealer for just about anything. He bought out a guy who was a local dirt track car builder who was going through a divorce. He bought three 30' enclosed trailers worth of equipment and parts. With the equipment was an old school 10' brake. He was going to just leave it behind because it was so heavy. Luckily his son told him of what they were worth. Now I need to work on him to sell it to me for what he gave for it, since it will no doubt be in his way.

Geez, you get that big of a break. Get some sheets of metal and make your own jeep tubs! Master those tig welding skills, and have a polished bare stainless steel flat fender.

(Okay maybe now I am getting crazy, haha!)

Starting to accumulate some patch panels. I started making the drivers floor pan tonight. Cutting out of that 16 guage sheet. Still needs some perfecting but hopefully it and the trans tunnel can get installed this weekend.

It looks better then the old one I cut out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Clearly 56' and gm are burning the midnight oil!

You have something special going for sure. When your cruisin' in your ride, under your feet will be the metal you formed. It is a great deal of work to save and remake the old steel. I admire you all who take the time, pain and effort to keep as much of the steel as you can.

Sheetmetal brakes are handy. Back when I could afford to buy welders, I also bought a 4 foot box and pan brake with radial fingers and a shear from Mittler Brothers. Very nice tools and much more complicated to operate properly than I imagined because my previous experience was using a borrowed 3-in-1 machine from Northern Tools. I have bent a few things in a vise and over a 2x4 as well.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 02-10-2024 at 09:26 AM.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

"... and have a polished bare stainless steel flat fender."

GMWillys' favorite Heep has a bare metal, brushed finish with clear coat for a finish - if I remember correctly. But - it leads the pack on cross country crawls.