Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

Looking good 56!

Just wondering, is there a serial number on the frame, on an early cj5? If there is I'd like to locate it before I start painting on my frame and potentially cover it without knowing.

I know on my '63 wagon, the serial number is stamped on the top of the passenger side frame rail, next to the upper shock mount. With Willys being Willys, the early CJ5 is located a little farther down on the frame rail;

http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index...hreads/144668/

Okay thanks GM. I had looked on the back by the shock and didnt find it. I never thought to look towards the front. Thank you again, I'll try to find it today.

Yeah, the photo in gmwillys link below is exactly where my 61 CJ5 is stamped as well.

Found the serial number today. In that exact spot the pic shows. It was really coverd in rust/grease so I never would have found it on my own. A little bit of wire brush and cleaner and it's legible. However it's not even close to matching the number on the tub. But knowing willys I wouldn't be surprised if that's factory.

Passenger floor installed. I got it welded all along the perimeter, so now I just need to ad some more supports. Being the second one it went alot easier than the drivers side. Now ill finally have a place to put my tools! It's so handy having a built in toolbox, but you can't use it because it's rotted away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glad you were able to find the serial number. Your floor is coming along nicely. The tool box is really handy. You'd be surprised on how much junk fits in there. I keep a tool set, fuel filters, points / condenser, spark plugs, and lead additive/ ethanol killer.

FYI, 56willys, the serial number stamped on my frame matches exactly to the serial number on the plate attached to the body. Of course, I know the history of my Jeep, so know that it all is original.

Nice job on the tub and welding!

I would say the look of the frame and tub indicate that's the tub that was put on at the factory. Most of the time you would expect that number to match. As we now know for fact, anything could have happened when inventory went low on the assembly line. Where there any clues as you tore into it that the tub had been swapped? That bottom was pretty rusted on her, I am thinking that was original.