Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Looking great 56! Flossy is looking good at sunset.
    Thank you! The sun gives cool colors. And its dark enough to hide rust lol.

So I'm planning to get a new exhaust. The one on it is completely shot. I've been considering getting the pipes from the manifold to the rear axle from kw. Since the pre bent is cheaper than buying pipe then having to weld and bent to fit. Id rather just spend the money and have it bolt right in. But I'm thinking of getting a different muffler than stock. Possibly a glass pack etc. Just wondering if anyone has experience with custom mufflers on the F head? And what muffler would sound good?

I have a Cherry Bomb glass pack on our Heep with the L134. It's been on there at least 30 years and was put on there by the previous owner. It is well seasoned regardless, and sounds like a regular Jeep muffler, if not a bit better. On ours, the Cherry Bomb was put on the end of the down tube off the manifold, then there is a "custom" tailpipe that exits at the right rear quarter panel, behind the wheel. I would go with the pre-bent exhaust kit. You may have to trim down the tail pipe to give enough room for the glass pack to fit in where the muffler would have gone.

I have the pre-bent system from KW. I agree with gm, it fits nicely. The muffler is pretty much straight through stock. The little 134 isn't very loud and if you are looking for that "race car" sound, I don't think you will get it. The little motor has mild compression and even milder cam timing. Not a real racy sounding engine. I have heard gm's run and it sounds great. Like a Swiss watch! The muffler that comes with the KW kit is similar in sound and a bit quieter.

Neither of the 134 engines has enough going on with compression and cam timing to give a lot of sexy noise, but I do notice that on the '48 (F-134, stock exhaust) when I go down a divided highway - up against the concrete barrier, at about 35 MPH the exhaust has kind of a "snarky" tone to the echo. Kind of nice.

It idles like a watch though - just purrs.

It's hard to beat a bolt on stock exhaust for ease of installation and simplicity.

Agreed Larry! I heard yours run too, it definitely just "purrs"!

Thanks for the info. I know I won't get it to sound like a v8. And i kind of don't want to. I still would love the smooth watch like or sewing machine sound. With just a little bit of extra noise on acceleration. Enough to be different, and unique. I think ill try a glass pack and see what it sounds like. But jeeps are never done, so I can always change and modify down the road.
    Last edited by 56willys; 11-18-2023 at 11:39 PM.

Well today I used Flossy to tow my brother's 89 ford van around in the yard to get it out of the way of Christmas lights. (Hard to believe its that time already) And it ran great like always. Moved the heavy van like it was nothing. However it did smoke quit some out the exhaust. It started smoking occasionnly awhile ago. It first did when I was blazing trails for a friends party and was idling a lot then started smoking when I revved it to claim over a rock pile.

Fast forward a couple months, it never smokes on cold start. Only when revving and sometimes it does sometimes it dosen't. Also it has always had a dead spot when revving. Driving [mostly in low range) when you rev it it will die then come back. And holding at a certain rpm without load. Like in low first gear mostly will break up if you hold it at a continuous rpm. I was told all this is a bad accelerater pump. So I'm planning a carb rebuild soon.

Is it possible that the carb is giving it too much fuel. Almost flooding it and causing it to smoke from excess vapor? The thing is it never smokes on cold start. Like it should if its head gasket, valves etc. Also the oil has been staying clean. When I first got it the oil would foam. But never smoked. Now oil stays clean but it smokes.
    Maybe I just need to stop being paranoid and except the fact that its a 60 year old jeep. But I hate to blow it up because of something simple to fix.

That statement " jeeps are never done" I think is the quote of the year, should be on a T-shirt.
    I had similar experiences with dead spot or hesitation at accelerating. Was a carburetor adjustment or rebuilt. I think it's a common thing for the Carter carbs I was told. Sounds to me like a mixture adjust in carb. So some carburetor work may fix that. Did for me.

56, isn't it awesome when the old vehicle pulls the newer vehicle out of the way!

Smoke can be diagnosed somewhat by how it is acting, and the plugs. Step one is it oil, fuel or water (steam). If it has blue oil smoke under high vacuum, coasting or when you rev it and back off the gas, it is usually the valve guides. If it is smoking under load, or as the rpms build, it is usually the rings loosing their seal for whatever reason. If the smoke is black and smells like fuel, it is. The carb is suspect. If it is white and appears to be steam and smells like anti freeze, you struck water somewhere. A pressure check will help find the leak.

The hesitations and stumble do sound like a carb rebuild is in order. The stumble sure sounds like an accelerator pump issue and the lean stumbles sound like dirt in the carb. If the smoke is black, it could be your issue. When it comes to rich or lean miss fires, engines seldom miss fire when they are too rich, they smoke. They miss fire when they are too lean.

The spark plugs will help a lot here. Look for:
    1) Black oil on the threads of the plug. They should be clean. Black oil is un-burned oil from combustion getting pushed passed the threads. This is Thee Best first indicator of heavy oil fouling in the cylinder. Steam cleaned plugs are hitting water.
    2) Read the plug. https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...d-a-Spark-Plug
    3) If it is steam, look for bubbles in the radiator water. Take the cap off the radiator and warm the engine until the thermostat opens and you see water flowing in the radiator. Once the water is flowing, look for bubbles in the water. There should be none.
    4) If it is steam, get a pressure checker and test the system. You will hear or see the air escaping into the water.
    5) If the plugs are black and sooty, the carb is too rich.

Some things off the top of my head 56. Give it a look over and we can keep looking. Shoot a pic of the plugs. Usually when the rings start to go, the oil starts to color quick, within 1000 miles. It may or may not show it is using oil on the dipstick, because it doesn't take much to create smoke. My first guess from what you described was rings, the clean oil however makes me wonder what you have there. If the plugs show oil, a compression test will tell more.

Now if its just burnin' a little oil...... She is an old girl!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-19-2023 at 07:21 AM.