Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

Nothing really stood out that it has been swapped. Still had wood in the hat channels and factory rubber ish insulators between body and frame. I did find some green overspray on the frame from when they painted the tub. Which that paint job looks pretty old. I unscrewed the serial plate and there is original yellow paint under it, so that's correct to the tub. I'll have to double Check but I believe there is original paint behind where the fenders bolt on. Indicating that the green paint was put on when it was all together. All the wires were original and nothing cut/spliced.

Basically everything points toward it being original, and it wouldn't surprise me if the numbers have been different from day one. After all it is a willys.

I agree 56', it looks like you have "one of those"! An original with parts that aren't supposed to be there. These are my favorite ones. You know its original but, it defies logic.

There are few left anymore who worked in the production environment of the automotive world "back in the day". Anything went when money or production volume got tight. Things really started changing in the 70's when I got my start. Modern Quality Control methods would did not allow it. Things started changing slowly in 1954 when the Federal Vehicle Identification laws came into place. That set the stage for making sure things matched in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I agree 56', it looks like you have "one of those"! An original with parts that aren't supposed to be there. These are my favorite ones. You know its original but, it defies.
    Hey, it wouldn't be an old willys if everything was correct/up-to-modern standards! And that's all the more reason for me to like Flossy!

Transmission tunnel fitment is almost done. I had left lots of excess material on the floor pans to ensure I had enough to weld to. So a little trimming and the trans. tunnel fit great, it's only about half welded but enough that it's on!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You're becoming a real pro now. The tunnel came out great!

After a nice break from welding I am back to work on the willys. I just got back from a road trip across the country to Utah. With some friends of mine. Was gone for about 2 weeks. And saw tons of awesome things, we went to the Grand canyon, petrified forest, arches nat. park, and Zion nat park. Then did some offroading in Utah and saw the offroad games by matts ofroad recovery youtube channel. That's why I haven't posted any updates in awhile. But I'm back and plan to tear back into flossy.

Sounds like you had a great trip!

That is an experience for sure! I think a trip across the USA in a vehicle is a must for the American Bucket list.

Just in case anyone has put thought into taking your Willys across country, the link has a pretty good Father and Son journey.

http://www.ewillys.com/2022/09/28/th...try-adventure/

Very cool trip there for sure gm! Wow what a "roughin' it across the US" those guys did. I think that's one for the memory banks.