Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

Bummer on the hydraulic cylinder Bmorgil. Northern tool has the double pump 3 ton for $100.00, and a double pump 8 ton for $150.00.

https://www.northerntool.com/product...vis-base-46215
    https://www.northerntool.com/product...vis-base-46217

or for a bit more...

https://www.northerntool.com/product...vis-base-46200

Arrhhhggg!!!! I actually bought a Strongway replacement from Northern, just not the dual action!

The check valve in my hoist has started sticking a little. It acts like there isn’t any oil in it but it starts working if I tap on the pump a little. I was thinking about cleaning valve but an upgrade to a double pump sounds like a better option.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

My hoist came from Northern just about 30 years ago. It has picked up more odds and ends than engines, but lots of engines too. Big blocks of all tastes, a few 6.2 diesels, and everything in between. The original ram looks sketchy, but is still holds and lifts well.

I bought mine at NAPA around 2003. It sits folded up in the corner too much which is why the valve has gotten sticky. I have used it to lift a lot of things. I have even used it as a jack but I don’t think I would have thought to use it for a body swap. It’s never had an automotive engine on it.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I must of had a good fortune cookie when I bought mine. It sits folded up the vast majority of the time. The chrome on the ram is pretty much nonexistent, but not heavily pitted. I don't know why it is still functioning as well as it does.

It may get a little wet down there gm, but as you know the Northern weather will really raise heck with the things you leave sit. It sounds like a quality tool you have gm, it lasts!

It was a cheapy from Northern Hydraulics, maybe $225 new with an engine leveler that lasted one use before the screw jack galled. The lift spent almost 10 years exposed to salt and extreme temperature swings being in Minnesota. I'll chalk it up to just being lucky for a change. Now the ten-ton porta power that I bought off the Matco tool truck on the other hand, wasn't a good buy. I had it a couple of years before the pump crapped out on it. Now I have two air over hydraulic Porta-Power brand pumps that fixed that problem. High dollar doesn't always mean better.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 02-06-2024 at 02:01 AM.

Got my new KW catalog and both my jeeps are featured in it! I didn't win any of the prizes (there's always next year to order lockers) but I'm just excited to have flossy in the catalog! My Jeep is already getting famous!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to getting my copy.