Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

That's a good looking F350 cab!

I started off using a base of a roll around Genie lift that had a platform built on top for a flat surface. It worked well for moving heavy stuff around and putting bodies on even while on its side. I still keep my wagon frame on top of it to easily move it around in tight places, even with the drivetrain still installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That trailer setup is sweet. Would be great for heavy stuff like a truck or wagon
    Luckily the cj tub is light enough my brother and I can carry it easily. Although that's with rust. I'm wondering how much heavier it will be with floors.

Last night I got one support brace welded in to make the floor riser. Today I'm working on another to go below it then I'll cover with sheet metal. It should be stronger than factory and alot cheaper than a correct panel. Once I get that finished I can base everything else off it.

Also had to repair the bottom of the inner fender. I got the drivers side done just need to finish passenger side.

You are making steady progress 56. You had a lot of rust there in the floor area. That's what usually happens. The drains get plugged in the floor and the tub fills up with water. The rest is the rust!

Looking great!

At engine hoist works great for setting tubs, especially if you end up by yourself.

I wish I would have seen you doing this long ago gm. I remember you showed this a few years ago. What a great way to use the engine hoist. I had mine sitting right there, and never realized it would perform like you are demonstrating. I keep calling muscle over for pizza and beer.

They're also great for installing full size pick-up bed & cabs!

and for loading up Shifter Carts to go play

1.jpg

I got the lower brace welded in for the floor riser. Then cut the drivers side floor pan out. I only had to cut a quarter of the perimeter then it fell out.

Flintstone mode engaged!!

This tub was very rusty, however the only patches on it have been cut out. There was one on the floor i just cut out and some channel on half the floor riser. So I don't have to work around anyone else's hack job.

It is definitely better to cut it back to good metal and start back with new, a lot less headaches that way.

An engine hoist is one of the most universal tools in my shop. When I lived in a colder climate, I would keep my snowmobile on a set of pallet racking four and a half feet off the floor. My first wife never could figure out how the sled ended up there during the warm months. I keep waiting for the cylinder to crap out so I can change it out for a two-stage pump ram, (pumps with the handle going up and down) or an air over hydraulic cylinder.

56' It is always best to cut out the old hack jobs and do it right. You don't have to graft into someone else's "ideas" that way!

I just replaced the ram on hoist gm. I didn't think of the two stage option. Dang it!