Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

You are definitely on a roll there 56', not long now. Plus or minus 1/4" sounds like the factory spec! You did the carb the best you can. It sounds like you scrubbed her out pretty good! The good news is its your carb and you know it pretty well. If it starts to give you trouble you know what to do. It sounds to me like it is going to be just fine.

Finished the passenger side floor supports. So now the front floor is completely done!! I Built a box on the drivers floor, since i put the tubing in about an inch off. So I welded some plate to the floor, then another plate flush with the tubing and boxed the sides off. It should be plenty strong, I just wanted something so the bolt won't pull through the 16 guage floor. It's not finish welded, 11 o'clock was getting a little late for a school night, so I'll clean it up tomorrow!

I think the carb will be okay, not the prettiest but nothing else on the jeep is clean, so it won't stand out. As for Bob's comment about me knowing what to do if it gives me trouble. That's why I wanted to rebuild it myself. Yea I could pay someone to fix it and it would be perfect. But then the day it floods or won't idle I'll have no clue what to do. I got the last of the screws and brackets painted, so the only thing stopping assembly is me getting away from that welder!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The best day of fabricating, is when you stand back and see how far you've come along. It seems to take forever, but the struggle is worth every stitch.

"... 11 o'clock was getting a little late for a school night, ..."

If I remember from your initial sign-in, you're still in high school?

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    "... 11 o'clock was getting a little late for a school night, ..."

If I remember from your initial sign-in, you're still in high school?

Correct, I'm currently trying to get through 11th grade. Although somehow i find learning about vehicles made 60 years before I was born more interesting then algebra!!!

Keep at it 56. You'll be able to drive your Jeep through your Senior year. I drove my wagon my sophomore year and it was nick named the aquarium. It was a blast to drive around, but with the low gearing and the V8, the fuel milage wasn't in the budget, even at the low cost of fuel back then.

I finished the floor riser. I just filled in the opening between the tubing with some sheet metal. It's not factory correct but it will work just fine. Then I starting fitting metal for the bed floor. I cut the bottom lip off the inner fenders where the floor was pinch welded. Being 2 piece of steel together it was completely rotten. So I cut that back to where the floor sits. And I made some angle iron that will weld to the inner fender and give me something to lay the floor to. I didn't get any pics of this tonight but I will tomorrow. So that is fitted for both sides, then I got some sheet cut out for the floor. So everything is ready for assembly, so I'll get it welded tomorrow.

For the bed floor I'll just have flat sheet metal. So it won't have any support ribs. But I will have a few supports under neath that will make it plenty strong. However I don't really want the look of just flat steel. So a buddy of mine had the idea to make some wood strips about 1 inch wide and lay them down in place of formed ribs. Kind of like the willys wagons had. So I think that's what I'll do, I have some nice oak that I can plane and router to look nice. I think it will be something different and look cooler then flat steel. But that still a ways away, and something I can do after the tub is back on the frame and driving.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Keep at it 56. You'll be able to drive your Jeep through your Senior year. I drove my wagon my sophomore year and it was nick named the aquarium. It was a blast to drive around, but with the low gearing and the V8, the fuel milage wasn't in the budget, even at the low cost of fuel back then.

Thats awesome!! But hey, it's not miles per gallon that count, its smiles per gallon. Although the bank account doesn't agree! An old willys is so much fun to have during high-school (and anytime) then I can have it for the rest of my life. I'm just grateful to be able to have one now, and hopefully it will be good and reliable for graduation.

The key thing is, (and I'm sure you hear this all the time) enjoy this time in your journey through life. The skills and knowledge that you have been honing and acquiring through the course of this project will last you your lifetime. We don't see too many young people interested in manual labor. The internet is full of store bought rides, but you will always know what it took for your Jeep to live again.

You are really doing well on the project 56'! A lot of progress there. You hit it right on the money with "....Smiles per gallon". I think you can tell, the old guys are diggin' your work!