Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

A good angle grinder is worth it's weight in gold.

The floor and braces turned out great! You'll be ready to drive by the time the temperatures are fit for tours.

I agree with gm. You are moving along now 56'. You definitely have the "bug" to get er done!

That is a good, stout floor and the passenger side should go faster now that you have some arc time behind you.

The little puddle welds look great - one of the ongoing comments is that Willys workers were paid piecework for spot welds....

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    That is a good, stout floor and the passenger side should go faster now that you have some arc time behind you.

The little puddle welds look great - one of the ongoing comments is that Willys workers were paid piecework for spot welds....
    That is for sure LarrBeard. I was working on the floorboard replacement on the wagon and needed to remove a firewall mount. On a three-inch by three-inch square piece, there was twelve spot welds holding it together. Some of the spot welds overlapped each other.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I agree with gm. You are moving along now 56'. You definitely have the "bug" to get er done!
    Since I had a year to drive it, I realized how much fun it is. So now I am super anxious to get back behind the wheel. After driving a willys, then being not able to drive it, really makes me wonder what I ever did when I didn't own a jeep. And how grateful I am to have Flossy. Man I want to drive it again, STUPID RUST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post

They did like spot welds at the factory, that's for sure!

It's actually nice that it's as rusty as it is. Because I haven't had to actually grind many spot welds yet, other than a couple, most are rusted enough I grab them with pliers. And a couple twists they break free. So the cutting spot welds issue is not that bad on the flossy project.

Spot welding is about the only weld technique I'm starting to get the hang of.
    Last edited by 56willys; 03-03-2024 at 11:32 AM.

Getting the passenger side cut out. There wasn't much left. I have basically everything cleaned and ready to make some new panels. There was lots of rust on this rocker, that will a big patch. [Note, the first pic. Is before I cut anything. That's all that was left of the floor]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 56willys View Post
    ....... STUPID RUST!!!
    I second that emotion!

It is looking real good 56'. I see your motivation now. The skin graph is going to be perfect for you.

Just finished one panel to fill in my homemade floor riser. I'll have to do the drivers side seperatly since I had already welded the toolbox to the tubing.

Edit; curse of the sideways pics stricks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You will be dropping that tub back on soon now 56'!

The sideways pic's appear to be a phone thing. On mine I discovered that I must hold my phone horizontally with the "Shoot Button" on the right. Anything else is sideways or upside down.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-23-2024 at 06:58 AM.