Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

I tried my hand at rebuilding the carb today. Here's some pics of the inside, any criticism is appreciated! I think everything is okay. I ended up reusing the idle jet since the new one from KW was slightly different. The only thing I'm wondering about is the accelerator pump assembly. The bar that connects the pump to the throttle shaft seems like it has a lot of slop before it moves anything. But I really don't know how it all works so maybe that's normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's the finished product. It actually looks better in person. The flash tends to highlight imperfections, but I think it turned out pretty good. Now I just need the rest of the jeep put together to test it. Maybe this weekend I'll roll the chassis out and do some bootleg assembly enough to see if it will fire and idle.

This probably won't be my long term carb. I'll probably rebuild flossys original to run permanently, so I didn't go crazy making this one perfect. I just wanted to see if I could make a carb work, in fear off messing up flossys carb.

Here's the rear floor almost installed. I got the angle iron welded on the sides and the sheet meatl is fit and lightly tacked to hold. I need to make some more crossmembers then I can completely weld the floor. But all in all, it's in and looks sweet. I'm so pumped to have floors, now front to back, side to side. This is the first time in a year and a half of ownership I've seen Flossy with complete floors!!

Well done 56! You'll have the body mounted in no time. Your carb rebuild looks good too for your first time. Now you can get it mounted up and tuned to perfection.

I agree with gm on all counts!

The accelerator pump should be checked for exactly what you are looking at 56'. It is imperative that the accelerator pump delivers fuel as soon as the throttle moves off of idle. If it does not, the engine will stumble. Once your carb is assembled, turn the idle screw in until you see the throttle blade begin to move. When the throttle blade starts to move the accelerator pump should also begin to pump.

Great Job 56!!!!

Couple Things, Why are you not teaching Auto Mechanics Class at School?????

How do you get your pictures so LARGE???
    That's pretty amazing!!!!

Couple of things to be aware of, #1. very often these old carbs deteriorate around both of the shafts that run thru the main body housing {one for the choke, the other at the bottom} and create a vacuum leak around those shafts. I had to have mine drilled out and new bushings installed for proper function. #2. Make certain your underbody cross members align with body mount locations on the frame. As others have stated, the work you've done looks great!

Thank you, everyone!!

Cat, the throttle shaft did have some slop,but I don't think it is too much. Just a tiny bit, although I hadn't thought of that causing vacuum leaks. And yes I did measure for the rear crossmember. The factory only had 2 under the bed floor, but I'm putting 3. One lined up for the frame and the other 2 spaced front-back, just for more support. I do appreciate the reminder, it's easy to forget!

TJ, Well I'm actually home-schooled, and I'm the youngest in the family therefore the only student left. Although I wouldn't mind teaching at a trade school or something, as a future job, I might actually enjoy that. Although I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough, I still have much to learn. Even outside of cars, if you haven't noticed my writing is not really superb!! I don't t know how my photos work, I just upload from gallery and it's alway worked! I don't really know why they come out bigger.

Bm, when I move the throttle the metering rod comes up and the accelerator pump shaft moves. All pretty quick with throttle movement. So it's probably okay, I must have just not paid enough attention to how it was before.

Quote Originally Posted by 56willys View Post
    ....... Although I wouldn't mind teaching at a trade school or something, as a future job, I might actually enjoy that. Although I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough, I still have much to learn. Even outside of cars, if you haven't noticed my writing is not really superb!! I don't t know how my photos work, I just upload from gallery and it's always worked! I don't really know why they come out bigger. ...
    Teaching is a noble profession. It is in my opinion the most important thing some humans can provide to others. It creates evolution. Without it we don't survive very well.

Your a little too hard on yourself 56', people who are not knowledgeable enough are easy to spot. They know it all and don't need any help. They don't listen very well. They are often wrong and spend a lot of time and money on the wrong things.

We all have much to learn till the day we die, trust me!

Your writing is superb. LarrBeard will attest. If LarrBeard approves your writing, that's all that matters.

No one fully understands the photo's! In most cases it appears to be a "cell phone thing". With my Android, if I hold the phone horizontally, with the bottom of the phone to my right, the photo's are correct. I think.

You don't have to be a subject matter expert to teach. Whe I was in school, our metal shop teacher was a retired Army drill instructor, and the auto shop teacher was a former Chicago cop. The world can always use more instructors.