Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

Even the saw horse is nice! Good looking craft there gm.

Yep! That's how it's done "correctly" right there.

It helps a whole bunch to bring your work as high as possible to be more ergonomic to work on as possible. The lower quarters are comfortable to work from a roll around work chair, while the upper quarters can be worked standing. It makes a world of difference in the quality of the work. The first cart was way too short to anything comfortably. The sawhorses shown were the first rendition made and were too short when the body was sitting upright. They were good and sturdy but needed to be mobile to aid in cleaning up the floor, or just moving around. The second set I made were just as heavy, but had casters installed to aid in moving the projects around. In hindsight, I would have put larger diameter casters to aid in moving around easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the way you use wood gm. It certainly makes for some very nice tools. I agree with you 100%. The better the tools, the more comfortable the work place, the better the Job.

You need to get a patented on those Bad Boys gm!!!

The price a wood and steel the last couple of years, not much of anything is getting built. I have it in the back of my mind to create a big enough rotisserie that can safely rotate the wagon body at least 90 degrees with an electric motor, but pricing out the material is proving to be out of reach for a reasonable price. Years ago, where I grew up there was an industrial salvage yard where you could pick up factory fixtures or jigs for pennies a pound. Dad built a rotisserie for his M151 for a hundred bucks.

I like those ideas, thanks Gm. I would totally build something like that. However I don't have the floor space to keep the tub layed down. If I did that would be great to have it up on stands. For now I have it on its side on some carts so i can move it around to work on. That's working okay for now. (Hopefully it will be back on the frame soon)

Progress has been slow but I did get the floor riser completely cut out. And a new piece ready, just need to drill a couple spot welds. Then I can get it welded tomorrow.

Also revealed some original yellow paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I rotisserie would be sweet! I've seen people make it out of two rotisserie engine stands. Which are pretty cheap used. But I don't think that would be strong enough for a wagon.

I use a small trailer for projects like that. Benefits are it can be easily moved, inside, outside, even trailered to another shop. Attached are some photos of a F350 cab I did a few years ago. Bolted the cab directly to the trailer.
    henny115.jpghenny119.jpghenny122.jpghenny130.jpg

Another great idea! Ingenuity at its best.