Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

Agreed. That may become one for the bucket list for the Heep....Or a compromise would be the Heep O' Wagon for the family to go along.

I had an amazing time, that's for sure. I had never been west farther than Toledo/Detroit before. So it was awesome to see so much new country. Driving a willys or any antique car (I think getting a model T would be fun) across the country would be awesome. However it was a long trip even in an RV that can handle 75 mph. That trip Gm shared is really neat. I liked the picture of them at the corner in Winslow AZ. Since that was one town we just drove through. I agree woth Bob, a trip across America is a must. I was amazed at how much different terrain and scenery there was. We even traveled on Route 66 for a long ways, so that was neat.

Driving flossy cross country would be fun, now that I've experienced it without roadside repairs. It would be fun to take flossy out and do some roadtripping/roadside repairs.

Getting back into rust repair, I got this patch welded on the rocker. I haven't ground the welds yet since my brother is painting his truck frame. But it's completely welded so it will just need some cleaning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another good looking skin graph there 56'!

Thanks Bob! I am still by no means good at welding, but I'm getting better! By the time Flossy is done i'll be a pro and the next Jeep will be a piece of cake!

Since there was still a truck getting painted on the other side of the garage, I still can't grind on Flossy so I decided to attempt a carb rebuild. The one on flossy runs great except for what I believe to be an accelerator pump issue. Where it sputters at mid range rpm. And sometimes falls flat during acceleration.

To get things straight I have never touched the internals of a carb before. And when first getting Flossy I was afraid to adjust the idle mixture for fear of destroying something. So yeah I have honestly no clue about this but even the smartest people started out not knowing anything. And I think this will be a great learning experience.

So I decided to work on the YF from my junkyard jeep. That way if I do something stupid, I can simply put Flossy's old carb back on and I know it will run. Then if this rebuild goes well I can perfect the original carb for flossy without fear of doing it wrong.

Carbs are pretty easy. Just be careful to track the parts that come out. Not much worse than turning one upside down and wondering where those parts on the bench fell from. Having a good parts diagram can be handy.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Quote Originally Posted by 51 CJ3 View Post
    Carbs are pretty easy. Just be careful to track the parts that come out. Not much worse than turning one upside down and wondering where those parts on the bench fell from. Having a good parts diagram can be handy.
    Yea, this carb looks really simple. I am taking video/pictures as I tear it apart, plus KW has some pretty good diagrams online and there's always YouTube. So I should be able to figure it out.

I had this all wrote out but I must have hit the wrong button since the post isn't showing up. So here's take 2, and if it comes as a double post I apologize.

But anyways, I got the carb basically completely disassembled. All that's left is the low speed jet, which won't unthread because of corrosion. And the (I'll call it the cap that covers the accelerator pump) is stuck. I removed all four screws but it won't come out. I have it all sprayed with penetrating oil, so that might work. Then the check ball(?) last picture, is stuck. I removed the little spring retainer but whatever slides down to hold the ball is stuck. I'm not sure if it's just corroded or if I'm missing something.

I have found that dropping parts into Evaporust, (sold at Wally World in the auto section) will take most corrosion out of the nooks and crannies of the carb. You may have to apply a bit of heat with a plumber's torch, then follow up with PB Blaster or Kroil penetrating oil and repeat to aid in getting the low speed jet.