Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

Quote Originally Posted by Skboyd View Post
    That statement " jeeps are never done" I think is the quote of the year, should be on a T-shirt.
    Ha ha it is true though. I always think about it. It doesn't have to be perfect now. There's always room for improvement down the road. No matter how much I do there will always be something that still breaks. Or I decide to change. I can't take credit for that quote. I read it back when there were still print magazines. Like JP and Petersons 4 wheel.

Thanks Bmorgill. So the smoke is mostly white with gray. On startup and idle it never smokes. If I'm cruising at stable rpm it's good. But when I give it a sudden rev to accelerate it puffes smoke then clears out when i let off or it gains speed. And sitting in neutral it smokes when ever a rev it. Then pulling the van it smoke when ever I throttled up. When it smokes it normally smells rich. I'll try to get some pics of the plugs. Last I checked them there was oil on the threads. The porcelain was brown and everything else black. That was a good bit of running ago so I'll check again.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    56, isn't it awesome when the old vehicle pulls the newer vehicle out of the way!
    Yep! 40 years, 4 cylinders, and 200 horsepower difference. But quess which one runs? The little willys that could!

Update on the smoking. Today I pulled it out to do some snow wheeling. And it smoked a tiny bit on start up. But it was 25 degrees and I haven't started it in a couple weeks. So probably just moisture in the muffler. Then I drove around for a while and never noticed any smoke. Maybe it was just too rich and now with the air being colder the carb tune is better?

I am thinking it hadn't been run long in a while and you had a ring or two, sticking in the piston if it was blue smoke. It sounds like running it freed it up and it is now doing a better job. A lot of black smoke would be way rich like the choke was stuck on. I don't think the air density changed enough with the temp change, to "smoke" or not "smoke". It would be difficult to have the jetting of the carb rich enough to smoke. Maybe stink like un-burned fuel, but not necessarily "smoke". I think you need to drive it a bit more and see how it does. If you see it smoking, pull the plugs and look for oil on the threads and electrode. If the smoke is white steam and dissipates quickly in the air it is water in the exhaust. If it smells like ant-freeze you have a pressure leak.

Thank you for the help. the little bit of smoke now on startup was white and was barely visible. so probably water in the exhaust. Before when it smoked it would smell like gas. Your probably right on needing to drive more. Being not entirely legal its hard to get actual miles on it. I can mostly just run in our pretty small yard in low range. And occasionally go up my road a couple miles. I'm planning after the holidays to take the body off for rust repair. Which unfortunately will result in the engine sitting for a while. But if I get the body solid then hopefully this spring i'll get licensed and start getting some real road miles on it. Which should help it and expose more problems. My buddy got a TJ that had sat for a while. and the more he drives it, it just keeps running better and better.

I got to give rides in Flossy on Christmas. Ran about 10 miles. The only time i noticed it smoking was once on acceleration. My uncle drove it, Therefore i was able to watch for smoke. It puffed out a cloud of white smoke. When He pulled out of the driveway and reved it up for second gear. As soon as he let off the gas and just cruised it stoped smoking.

Merry Christmas and happy new year!! Hope everyone is having a great holiday!

Great news! Happy New Year to you! Hope you had a great Christmas.

Your probably right about the rings. Do you think some oil additive would help it? I don't really want to get into a rebuild just yet.

I will take to tub of soon. And patch rust over the winter. So I won't be able to really run it much until spring. Hopefully then I can do the exhaust (probably get the main pipe from kw then adapt a glass pack) and a carb rebuild. Then look into the engine more.

Had a wonderful Christmas for sure! Now just need to look forward to more jeeping on 2024!
    Last edited by 56willys; 12-31-2023 at 11:13 AM.

I think additives just cost money. At this point it sounds like its running OK, just a little smoke. I think I would keep it running maybe clean the plugs after a while, and rebuild it when your ready.