Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

Run what you have. Like Bmorgil said, most snake oils out there are designed to separate you from your money.

Thank you guys for the insight! I'll wait till spring so i can get some real road miles on it. Then depending on how it handles that, i'll figure out a plan. Maybe with more running it will clean itself up, or if not I might try my hand at engine rebuilding next winter. But for now i need some body mounts...

I found a roll bar for Flossy. Not mounted just a mock-up. Not sure if i'll keep it on fulltime or just for offroading. Any event/offroad park near me requires a rollbar. It will hopefully lower the fatality of my Willys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Body removal.

Well I did it. Fenders off, and everything else that connects the tub to the frame has been removed. Man, some of this feels like I just put it together. I already miss my jeep. But there comes a time when rust repair is necessary.

It's sure had a fight with the rust monster... The one picture is all that's left of one nut holding the fender to the grill. I'm going to have to make some temporary supports so it doesn't make a jeep taco when we lift it off the frame. Even though I like tacos, just with beef and tortillas not my jeep lol.

Weld some angle iron across it like it was in a Stryker frame to hold it in place - like a rotisserie.

I made a connecting frame that bolted in the dashboard mount bolts and then tacked it to the fender wells. It definitely kept the taco effect from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by 56willys View Post
    Well I did it. Fenders off, and everything else that connects the tub to the frame has been removed. Man, some of this feels like I just put it together. I already miss my jeep. But there comes a time when rust repair is necessary.
    Keep at it 56, the trick to it is never walk away forever. Steady as she goes, work at your own pace and she will be back on the road before you know it. Once you have the body off, it is so much easier to "dial it in".

Good idea there, Gmwillys. I hadn't thought about bracing like that, So i'll ad that into the plan. Then I'm planning a bar across the top of the tailgate opening. And another brace across the fenderwells right behind the door opening. That should hold it enough to get it off the frame.

My plan for repairing. Is I'll get some sqaure tubing. Maybe 1x1 inch. And make a framework underneath. like a racecar chassis. Basically going between whatever solid spots i can find. I have a repair panel for the rear below the tailgate. Probably order the mid floor riser from kw. then tie everything together with the tubing. Running some tube along the rockers to the firewall. Which will also act as rocksliders. And some from the mid floor riser to the back, along the bottom of the inner fenders. Then just keep adding tubing throughout untill its reinforced enough. Then i'll just weld sheet steel to the fresh tubing. Basically the only part of the front floor still solid is the top and walls of the tolbox. Everything else needs cut out.

I have access to some rough cut oak planking from a tree we had cut down. Maybe i'll make that into the rear bed floor.

No matter what, i am keeping my eye out just in case i find a different tub.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place, and the reinforcement tubing/rock sliders are a good idea. I have been there before with the tub rust, but there is nothing that is too far gone.