Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

More photos;
    Attached Images Attached Images

I swear gm can bring one back from just the iron oxide left behind!

You are putting it back together the same way a competition vehicle is looked at. Reinforcing it for the work it is going to do.

Got the bracing welded in place. I did it simpler than planning. I was going to add the angles down from the dash, but I got these 2 in place. And did I trial pickup, and everything stayed solid.

I also measured and squared everything up. I didn't think it was so bad. But once I started measuring, man it was crooked. I had to stretch the middle about 3/4 inch. And squeeze the back about an inch. But now it's square (or at least as strait as a willys can be)

The body is off!

After talking to TJones. About buying a tub from him. I decided to keep mine and repair it. I do appreciate Tim working with me. But after more thought I think I'm better off with the original iron.

So with that said. The rust repair has commenced. The body is completely separated from the chassis.
    Last edited by 56willys; 01-10-2024 at 11:17 PM.

Looking good 56. You'll be happy with your decision to repair what you have, although TJ's tub wouldn't be a bad second choice. The American made floor pans offered by KW are good panels to use. I've used them and they fit well and are of the correct thickness.

I could not help but ask about the Ole Black Ford Pickup in the background Jacob
    Like I need another Project
    Last edited by TJones; 01-11-2024 at 06:43 AM.

On your way now 56'! So much you can get your hands on once the body is off. They are like giant ATV's.

gm is thinking that tub is fixable I am sure. TJ is always hawking' the pic's for another project!

Doesn’t hurt to ask Bob

If you can save the tool box and the "hump" for the transmission, the rest of the floor is flat steel! I drilled the spot welds out around the perimeter of the underseat tool box and removed it. Then use a cutoff wheel to cut the floor around the floor hump. Save the hump and keep it attached to the firewall. Buying floor pans will be far far more expensive than purchasing flat pieces of sheet steel. Brush-up on your "mig welding skills"!

jeep26.jpgjeep27.jpgjeep28.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Catlewis View Post
    If you can save the tool box and the "hump" for the transmission, the rest of the floor is flat steel! I drilled the spot welds out around the perimeter of the underseat tool box and removed it. Then use a cutoff wheel to cut the floor around the floor hump. Save the hump and keep it attached to the firewall. Buying floor pans will be far far more expensive than purchasing flat pieces of sheet steel. Brush-up on your "mig welding skills"!

jeep26.jpgjeep27.jpgjeep28.jpg
    Mine will get cut out just like yours. My toolbox is good enough to stay, just needs the bottom floor. And the trans hump is solid, except i will have to repair some of it towerds the rear.

That complete front floor assembly from KW looked awfull tempting. But at $800 I think your right about getting my own sheet steel!