Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: My first vehicle! 1956 CJ5

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    I could not help but ask about the Ole Black Ford Pickup in the background Jacob
    Like I need another Project
    Thats my Dads truck. Has been in the family since the mid 70s, After sitting for over 25 years. We got it back on the road during covid. Repowered with a 351w and 4 spd. Currently in winter hibernation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for the encouragement! I will post updates as soon as I make more progress!!

That thing is nice!!!!

Things are moving along at your place 56! That Ford is just a cutie! A Bitchin' hot rod truck there. In the 70's that was very popular, to stick a hot rod car motor and a car 4 speed in a pickup. I bet it runs good with that 351 you slipped in there.

Yes, the truck does get down the road wonderfully. I never road in it stock. But I would say 375 is alot better than 95 horsepower. Then theres my brother building a full race setup for his truck. And flossy just sits there happily with its 72 horsepower!!

Also, I dont need this yet, Rust repair is more important. But was wondering what your thoughts are on the steering stabilizer kit KW sells? Thinking of taking advantage of their 15% sale. To stock up on parts that I'll need. Anyone have experience with the stabilizer, and how much it improves driving?

There are a few discussions on the forum about the stabilizers. I am not a fan of them on street vehicles, that are not used off road for real.

The "stabilizer" is really there to help with the large feedback to the steering wheel when off roading. The big hits to the wheels can transfer the abrupt motion to the wheel and jerk it in your hands. This was really the original intent. In doing so, the stabilizer does impart an extra load to the system. In manual steering it will increase the effort to turn, when the steering wheel is turned quickly. They can mess with the steering wheel "return". Used as intended they are mandatory if you are truly off roading it hard. In the rocks you would wish you had one. They look cool. They work great in off road competition.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 01-12-2024 at 07:54 PM.

Thank you for the great info. That is good to now. I was thinking I needed it to reduce bumbsteer on the road. But now what you said. You have saved me 100 bucks. I will offroad it in the future, however it will mostly be on the road. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge like always.

Steering stabilizers are commonly used to mask bigger issues within the steering system. I do not have one on my Heep, and the steering acts just fine, even off road and on the rocks. One just has to remember to never stick your thumbs within the steering wheel just in case you do run across something that grabs the wheel.

Thanks Gm. The little driving I have done, it handles okay. The only thing is it shakes when I hit a bumb. But I need a better alignment. And the shocks on it currently, are completely useless. So any issues with it are probably in other things. I did see, when removing the body. I took out the steering column and found the Pittman arm is very worn. I might also tear into the bell crank and in inspect that if I have a chance.

I just thought if you guys had a stabilizer on your jeep. And said it improved drivability, then I'd get one. But good News you folks have saved me money to invest where it is needed more. Thank you again for the help!
    Last edited by 56willys; 01-13-2024 at 12:19 AM.

56, wiggling after a bump can usually be traced back to looseness in general. Tie rods, Idler and Pitman Arm all need a check for looseness. Most important for a smooth tracking Jeep, are the King Pin bearings and their proper adjustment. Many a "wobbling" Jeep can be traced back to loose King Pin Bearings.